DVDpedia: Entering Tags

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDpedia: Entering Tags

Post by joel »

According to an email from Bruji support, tag entry behavior is supposed to work one way, but I am seeing something different:

Supposedly, you are supposed to be able to enter a "known" tag by typing part of a word, followed by a comma.
But this only works for me if the tag field only includes one value. As soon as I enter two values, I can no longer abbreviate an entry.

For example, according to support:
if I type "act, sci, sus, hor" and then tab out of the field
then DVDpedia should fill in "Action, Sci-Fi, Suspense, Horror" as the entry

I am not seeing that behavior, this is what I see:
if I type "act, sci, sus, hor" and then tab out of the field
then DVDpedia simply leaves the entry as "act, sci, sus, hor"

PS -
"act, sci, sus, hor" (or any of the short values) is not listed as a value in Preferences > AutoFill > Genres
Nora
Site Admin

Re: DVDpedia: Entering Tags

Post by Nora »

"act, sci, sus, hor" (or any of the short values) is not listed as a value in Preferences > AutoFill > Genres
If the values are not listed in your autofill list then the program can't autofill them.
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by joel »

You misunderstand.

The individual full word values:
sci-fi
horror
action
etc
are in my auto fill list.

The abbreviations:
sci
hor
act
etc
are not in the auto fill list.

I was trying to be clear that the bahavior I was seeing was not because I had the abbreviated words in the auto fill list.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Okay, here's what happens for me (running DVDpedia beta 7) when I use the List View to enter multiple genres. I have "Sci-Fi" "Action" and "Horror" as separate genres listed in my Autofill list.

I start typing 's' in the Genre column for an entry, it offers to fill it out as 'Sci-Fi'. I press the right arrow button to get to the end of the word, type a comma and then type 'ho' to bring up 'Horror' and again use the arrow key to get to the end of the word. (The important part here is that if you're using the List View to enter a value you have to use the right arrow key to get to the end of the word before you type the comma. In the Add/Edit window this isn't necessary because the Genre field is a 'blue bubble' and typing the comma finishes the entry of the value as well as auto-completing it.)

You're saying this is not how it works for you? Are you running beta 7?
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by joel »

I didn't know I had to use the right arrow PLUS the comma key.

That works, but seems clunky and unintuitive.

Is there a reason why the genre doesn't use blue-bubbles and traditional tag-type entry interface like in all other apps I have used, and even DVDpedia in the Edit window?

Personally, I think they should be blue bubbles both visually and for data entry (I had even previously submitted a feature request to change the genre and tag fields to blue bubbles).
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Strange! For me simply using the comma works (though I must confess to intuitively using the right arrow first)
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

As mentioned previously, we don't have any plans to add the blue-bubbles to the list view because it takes away from the easy readability of the table in our opinion. The genre field uses the blue-bubble in the Edit window like all the other multi-value fields.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

@adamhh - You only need to use the arrow when editing a field directly in the list view. In the edit window it's not necessary.