10 star rating system

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

10 star rating system

Post by scooter64 »

Hey Guys,

I would love to see a rating scale of 1-10, rather than 1-5 stars as the DVDpedia system is currently using.

I find that 5 stars too limiting, as I really like IMDb.com's system.

For example, after rating a movie 5/10 on IMDb, I then have to decide if I want to rate this 2 or 3 in DVDpedia. Of course, a 2-1/2 (2.5/5) would work too, I suppose.

So, would it be possible to change to either:

a) A five-star system (like it currently is set up), but ADD a "half star" option. [checkout the iphone app iTV for an example of rating 2-1/2].

b) A ten-star system like IMDb.com [Wouldn't it be awesome if their individual user ratings matched the one in Pedia? Yes, it would involve pedia users creating an imdb account, I'm sure many do already. Well, I can dream. :D ]

A big change, but could it be done? Would you consider taking a poll? Why was a five-star chosen originally?

Thanks you guys, keep up the great work!
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: 10 star rating system

Post by sjk »

Did you see the recent half-star request and Conor's response? It's for Bookpedia but could be applicable to all the 'pedias.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

sjk wrote:Did you see the recent half-star request and Conor's response? It's for Bookpedia but could be applicable to all the 'pedias.

Yes, I'd love the half-star rating potential to be implemented.

Or, the 10-star rating could work too. But the five half-star might be easier from a technical side, and not upset too many existing users.
jfa88
Inductee
Inductee

Post by jfa88 »

I'd like to see either a 10 star system or 1/2 stars. I was rating my DVD's today and really needed several 4.5 star ratings. Conor -- PLEASE consider it very strongly! :-)
Dave_R
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dave_R »

I'd just like to add my vote for this feature. Either way (10 stars or half stars) would be great.

Thanks!
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Half-stars would be more visually appealing to me than 10 stars.
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

I definitely think that this would be a great feature. Personally, I /hate/ Netflix's 1-5 system. So, it gets my vote.

I'd also say that I'd love a preference option for how the "My Rating" field is displayed. If you choose numerically, you'd get a '9', and if you choose visually, you'd get 4.5 stars. Either way, the value on the backend would be stored as integer with a range of 1-10. Or, I suppose, you could do a range of 1-100 (like "Rating"), rounded to the nearest 10 if you choose to display stars. Lots of ways to play around with it, I think. :)

I do agree with @sjk in that I think 10 stars would look a little ugly / cluttered.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

marumari wrote:Personally, I /hate/ Netflix's 1-5 system.
Like I detest Apple's App Store's? ;)

I usually prefer the simplicity of a compact range rating system if only used by a single, consistent reviewer (e.g. Roger Ebert) other than myself. I want a broader range when doing my own ratings (e.g. so there's more room for private purposes), or if they're community-based and can spread out averages more helpfully (e.g. IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, etc.). For anything, not just movies as in this example.
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

Oh, man, Apple's App's Store rating system is the worst... so very, very bad. The fact that you can only view things through iTunes makes for one of the worst experiences imaginable.

Although, Amazon's rating system might even be more heinous - it actually does calculate an average score, like 4.1 stars out of 5. But, as far as I know, there's no way to get it to show up through any normal browser interaction - it's clearly visible in the source, though. That stuff just yanks my chains - it should be easily visible at all times.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

marumari wrote:The fact that you can only view things through iTunes makes for one of the worst experiences imaginable.
Maybe that could change if the App Store would also be influenced by this rumored browser-based access:

Apple's Lala purchase forecasts browser access to iTunes content
Although, Amazon's rating system might even be more heinous
Technical details aside (which I agree are annoying), it's been a more helpful product quality/value differentiation tool for me than the flood of inane App Store "ratings/reviews" may ever be (without some significant changes).
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

Hi,

I was just curious about the possibility of changing to a half point or ten point rating system for DVD pedia?

Conor or Nora, I didn't see anything related to this in the most recent Jan 2010 update, do you think it's workable? I was excited to see many others share my sentiment since my original post.

Just wondering? :D
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We're working on that but this latest update, 4.5.5, took us a bit by surprise (see here) and since we had to hurry the release for the new access keys, the new rating system didn't make it yet. But it should be ready for the next version.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

Nora wrote:We're working on that but this latest update, 4.5.5, took us a bit by surprise (see here) and since we had to hurry the release for the new access keys, the new rating system didn't make it yet. But it should be ready for the next version.

I was disappointed that it was not included on the latest update 4.6.0. :shock:

Did you have a change of heart?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We have the stars ready but including it in 4.6 turned out to be more complicated than expected due to the format of the my rating in the internal database. We do promise it will make it, but we have postponed it until the version where we have to update the database for new fields as well as other changes.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Nora wrote:We have the stars ready but including it in 4.6 turned out to be more complicated than expected due to the format of the my rating in the internal database. We do promise it will make it, but we have postponed it until the version where we have to update the database for new fields as well as other changes.
I'd welcome this too. In the meantime, it's possible to create a custom field called "Star Ratings" or whatever and then users can award their movies as many stars as they want :) They can sort on that field too if they wish. It's not ideal but it's a workaround until you get chance to incorporate it fully. Users would have to go through their entire database awarding stars, but then they would have to do that anyway when you introduce half stars or 10 stars or whatever you're planning. The main downside would be that the Star Ratings field wouldn't appear in the title bar of each movie in Info View (unless one coded a bit of html to make it appear of course) but it would appear in the table view and the info view main page and, as I say, one could sort on it or make smart collections using the rankings. Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Keith