MoviePedia?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
labyrinthworm
Inductee
Inductee

MoviePedia?

Post by labyrinthworm »

This isn't really a feature, more of just a question (as i'm new to the forums, but been using DVDPedia for a while now). I'm not sure when DVDPedia was first released, but I'm guessing sometime before blu-rays made it big. I guess I was wondering if there were ever future plans to change the name. I know sometimes copyright can be an issue (Blu-Ray is copyrighted format), but ever think of changing it to something like MoviePedia? I am sure you mulled it over, but some people have VHS rips, etc., and I don't know about other people, but my collections are categorized by Quality - so I have a 1080p , 720p, DVD Rip (which are ones I do that are higher quality), and SD. I really don't mind the name DVDPedia, but i'd say 80% of my collection is technically Hi-Def.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: MoviePedia?

Post by sjk »

I agree DVDpedia is an overspecialized name, but MoviePedia would seem a misnomer for someone primarily using it to catalog TV shows (for example). :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Although DVDpedia no longer fits all the abilities of the program, especially with so many moving to digital, it would be confusing to change the name. DVDpedia has been around for so long that the name carries a reputation. It's a bit like iTunes in that respect, iTunes would be called differently if released today (they are moving in that direction with the new icon, the next one will be missing the music note).
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:Although DVDpedia no longer fits all the abilities of the program, especially with so many moving to digital, it would be confusing to change the name.
Actually, that's also one reason it's confusing not to change the name.
DVDpedia has been around for so long that the name carries a reputation.
Mostly favorable or a name change might be more tempting. :)

And every web search result for it (and each other 'pedia) is likely to refer to that product, while nearly all "MoviePedia" search results (sans discussions like this) are already unrelated to Bruji's products.
iTunes would be called differently if released today
No doubt, while still being so deeply branded (with the app and store/service) makes it harder to imagine Apple changing it although they did drop "Music" from "iTunes Music Store" plus and, as you mentioned:
they are moving in that direction with the new icon, the next one will be missing the music note
But it's the store name branding that dominates now, with the general public considering "iTunes" first as a store/service without necessarily a thought of the app. Or, "find it on iTunes" means the combined app/store/service.

So, unlike iTunes, there's currently no store brand/reputation component to contend with if any Bruji 'predia product was renamed. What about naming/branding the "Bruji database", though?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

What about naming/branding the "Bruji database", though?
There all kinds of internal opinions on that naming at the moment. Hopefully we will be able to narrow it down and then make it great with feedback from beta testers.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Can I qualify to have opinions/votes about naming even if I do no other beta testing? :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Can I qualify to have opinions/votes about naming even if I do no other beta testing?
Of course, each testers expertise lies in specifics.