Stuffpedia?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.

Stuffpedia?

Postby elysdir » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:33 pm

I have a bunch of stuffed animals and action figures, and I want to catalog them. I can make my own little database to do that, and probably will, but I would love to have a Pedia app for this stuff.

I suspect that cataloguing stuffed animals and action figures is too limited a market to merit a full app, but what if you made an app for tchotchkes in general? It could include art, and toys, and cosplay props, and dolls, and collectible antiques, and more. (I suppose that some toys, like Rubik's Cubes, could sorta kinda fit into Gamepedia, but I feel like that's not really what Gamepedia is focused on.)

This sort of "Stuffpedia" or "Miscpedia" or "Toypedia" or "Tchotchkepedia" probably couldn't have the same degree of standardization-of-fields that your other apps have, but for me at least it would nonetheless be really valuable, as a way to integrate my other collections with the Pedia ecosystem.

I suppose another approach could be an "Everythingpedia" in which all the fields would be customizable.

Anyway, I can imagine all sorts of implementations of this; my core point is that I have a bunch of stuff that I would love to catalog with a Pedia app, but that doesn't fit neatly into one of your Pedia categories.

Thanks, as always, for the Pedia apps!
elysdir
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Stuffpedia?

Postby Conor » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:34 am

Thank you so much for taking the time give us feedback.

The request for Allpedia has come up before and it something we have looked at and explored but only in the planning stages. The commitment to such a big project without knowing what the market would be like has been too big of risk for us to jump in. But we do have all these ideas on our head of a integrated pedia that would allow for widgets that you add, allowing for different items and communities to build around a type of collecting (share the non personal data).

But we have kept to the safe path of pouring all the work into the Pedias people love. But some of the features in these Pedias are in the hopes of paving the path to a more versatile program. For example the edit/add window looks so different from all other Apple program as it's fully customizable on the fly. Spent almost a year building that, so that we could then have a framework from wish to improve on, should we need to have a place for any type of field and data.

Also we got derailed by iOS, as we were on track to make a more versatile Pedia and then had to build an iOS version for the existing 4 Pedias. Funnily enough, knowing what we knew at the time, it's Pocketpedia that would be the easiest to adapt today for more collections, as it was built from the ground up with that idea in mind.

Sorry there is no good news to share on this front.

Should you want to canabilize a Pedia to make it into stuffed animals and action figures, you would not be on a solitary path. The link contains details on how to change the regular fields names (non custom). It does mean full manual input of all the information.
Conor
Top Dog

Postby NullMind » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:06 am

Hi

I just wanted to leave a note here with support for such a system as well

I own a large collection of statues and would love it I could just set a custom rage of options to catalog them as such .. hope this 'stuffpedia / allpedia" idea comes to see the light of day

Thanks

:)
NullMind
Inductee
Inductee

Postby Conor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:28 am

Thank you for adding your support to this project. Statues are a new one and would have not thought of that range of possibility. :D
Conor
Top Dog

Return to Feature Requests