Can DVD Profiler be imported to DVDPedia?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

With 3.4.4 we updated the XML import of DVD Profiler to version 3.0 of DVD Profiler. However if you send us the 2.5 version of the XML we can try to catch the difference on the sound import.

You can find version 3.4.3 of DVDpedia at the following link. You can go further back by changing the appended version number.
DrPaul
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DrPaul »

I retrieved version 3.4.3 and the import worked as before, thanks. I'll see if I can upgrade my version of DVD Profiler in VirtualPC.

In the meantime here is a link to the XML file I exported, it is a 9MB file so I haven't tried to email it: collection

Cheers

Paul.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for giving us a link to your XML export. Due to popular demand both imports are now included; DVDpedia will detect the difference between the 2.4 XML version of Profiler and the 2.5 version and do the correct import. So you can download the latest version of DVDpedia and still use it to import 2.4 versions of Profiler.
Paulson
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

How do I export images from DVD Profiler?

Post by Paulson »

Apparently like a lot of people here, I have my DVD collection in DVD Profiler on a PC. I want to transfer my collection to DVDpedia.

I read the information in the help file and in this forum about exporting data from DVD Profiler so that DVDpedia can read it. Sounds simple.

I successfully exported the XML file from my DVD Profiler database--that was easy. I understand that I also need to export the images and put them in a folder called "Images" in order to import them into DVDpedia. Others report that they did just that.

All this is dandy, except I cannot find any way to export images from DVD Profiler! I checked their support forums, help files, etc., to no avail.

I tried using both versions 2.3 and 2.4 of Profiler. Do I need 2.5 or 3.X?

I realize that this is not a DVDProfiler help forum, but others seem to have done it...my question is, how?

Since this seems to be a fairly common conversion, how about creating a help file...Step 1, Step 2, Step 3...etc.? I'll even help write it once I accomplish the image export.

Thanks!

John
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You name it IMAGES and put it in the same folder as the XML file before the import. It could be the folder exists on your PC already where DVD profiler keeps its information? Sorry we can't be of more help, someone with a Windows machine will have to help you.
danio
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by danio »

If I remember correctly, you should find your Images on the following path (if you installed as default) - c:\program files\intervocative software\dvd profiler\images

The images folder contains your larger images, within the images folder there is a thumbnails folder containing the smaller images; you only need the larger images. Copy the Images folder (without the thunbnails folder) to a directory with your xml export and away you go.

I'd copy rather than move as if it goes wrong you'll have a fallback position... Hope that helps?
Paulson
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Works great--thanks!

Post by Paulson »

Thanks to Conor and danio for your prompt help!

I was taking the instructions too literally and was looking for a way to "export" the images from DVD Profiler, where in fact it creates its own Images folder on the PC hard drive, just as danio spelled out. Who knew?

Once I had the export file and the Images folder (minus the thumbnail folder--see message above) in the same folder on my Mac, import into DVDpedia went flawlessly. I burned a CD on my PC to transfer all the images over to the Mac, by the way. Quick and easy.

I hope the information in this thread will be helpful to others who are moving up to a BETTER DVD database program!

Again, thanks to all those who helped.

John
danio
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by danio »

Glad to help and that you ahve managed to import OK. I too am extreemly pleased so far with DVDpendia as opposed to DVD Profiler :)
DrPaul
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DrPaul »

The latest version of DVDProfiler 3.0.3 now seems to work inside VirtualPC under XP without any of the artifacts which is good.

The images are in a new location: "My Documents\DVD Profiler\Databases\Default\Images
DrPaul
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DrPaul »

The latest version of DVDProfiler 3.0.3 now seems to work inside VirtualPC under XP without any of the artifacts which is good.

The images are in a new location: "My Documents\DVD Profiler\Databases\Default\Images".

The major problem now is that the XML file format has changed so nothing is imported correctly. I have the correct number of entries but no fileds defined at all.

This is using the latest version of DVDPedia 3.5.0.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Paul,

If you email us the new XML file we might take a look at the changes they have done for the latest beta.
DrPaul
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DrPaul »

I have uploaded the file again as it is 10MB now.

Here is a link: collection303.xml
dlopan

Post by dlopan »

Thanks for doing this. I finally have a dvd database on my mac. I have been getting rid of pc based things slowly but surely.

Can you import the purchasing info from dvd profile? Thats about the only thing that didn't go across.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you could please send me a sample or the whole XML export (as much as you feel comfortable sending) I can be sure to include the purchasing information for a future version (I thought I had, but they are always changing their format).
dlopan

Post by dlopan »

I sent the file to your support email address. Thanks again.