No "sync" button in PocketPedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

No "sync" button in PocketPedia

Post by bishop »

I have installed PocketPedia on my iPod Touch. I waited all day for the software update just so I could use PocketPedia. Can't see any sync button, though.

My first attempt was through my Purple (wireless) network on Smoothwall. I was going to set up a pinhole to allow the wireless (Purple) to talk to the wired (Green) network, but I didn't know what ports/protocols are used for the sync, so I moved to Plan B.

Plan B meant setting up a private AirPort network. My iMac and my iPod are inches apart, I get a good signal, BookPedia is running, but I can't see any sync options on either PocketPedia or BookPedia.
Last edited by bishop on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: No "sync" button in PocketPedia

Post by bishop »

Update: connected my iMac to my household wireless (just to see if I could get a connection) - a Sync button popped up, but it didn't sync anything. Blank screen. The "requesting collections" window just comes & goes very quickly.

I would like to be able to create a computer-to-computer network and connect that way, as mentioned in my first post, but everything I try so far on that end yields no results.
bishop
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bishop »

Update again: confirmed connectivity between iPod & iMac through ad-hoc AirPort network. Sync button appeared, pressed it, got the "Synchronizing" window for a while, and then nothing. Subsequent "Sync" requests made that window appear for less than a second and then go away.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It sounds like the connection is suddenly lost. We shall add some kind of message saying the connection was lost to make debugging the sync easier. For flexibility we left the computer to choose the most convenient port to establish the connection on, therefore I can't give you a specific number to open on your firewall. We could have the Pedias report all this information to the user. Do take a look at your console log as the Pedias will report any kind of encoding and transmission error to the log; however if it's not getting that far there would be no messages. The first message you should see is a pop-up alert in the Pedias requesting your permission for a sync with an iPhone device for the first time. Try reinstalling Pocketpedia on the iPhone and restarting the Pedias now that you have the network connection set-up.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It seems to be a firewall issue. A user reported fixing it by changing his firewall to allow server connections on the LAN. This was not on his Mac but his actual wireless router. I'll post more details as I get them.
marksealey
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marksealey »

I have found that as many ...Pedias as you have installed on your desktop all need to be launched and running.

Also that the ports 8120, 8130 need to be open for whichever IP addresses your iPhone corresponds to (presumably on your (wireless) network). Good luck!