Syncing images

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
MartinP
Contributor
Contributor

Syncing images

Post by MartinP »

Hi

I've just purchased the various pedias, together with Pocketpedia for my phone. I have imported all my data and synced it to the iPhone, and all is well with the world.

However, everytime I resync it takes forever "requesting images" again, going through the entire catalogues each time. I have even tried resynching after having made no changes since the last sync, and it still has to redo the images. Is there anyway to prevent this?

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Syncing images

Post by Conor »

Is it able to complete the initial sync of images? Does it ask for any of the details again or just the images? Please try out the beta that has a faster image transfer that might help in completing the sync.
MartinP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MartinP »

It appears to sync OK, on the iphone screen it has a "Synchronizing..." window, which goes through from 1 to 296 (the full number), then it has a "requesting image" window which also runs through from 1 to 296, taking a few seconds for each image even though they are already in the app and nothing has changed to the file on the Mac.

The beta version is quicker, but still asks for all the images.
MartinP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MartinP »

OK, so I've done some playing around with this over Christmas.

The problem above only occurs when i have the time preferences on the iPhone set to a 12 hour clock. When I have them set to 24 hour clocks then they work fine.

Hope this helps.

martin
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the information. I am glad it fixed the full sync issue. I'll run some test with the different time settings.
editorialcollective
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by editorialcollective »

I'm having the same problem when syncing DVDPedia to Pocketpedia2: each synch seems to behave as if starting from scratch, requesting details and cover images for all entries. My iPhone preferences have the 24-Hour Time set to off. I have kept Pocketpedia on the iPhone while setting up and testing Pocketpedia2, and have BookPedia as well -- not sure either of those two facts help in debugging this...
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Having the old version will not affect the new version. The iPhone sandboxes every application and there is no possible interaction. Please take a look at your time & date setting, including the time zones, on both the iPhone and Mac to see if any changes there might have an effect.
sandysantra@mac.com
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by sandysantra@mac.com »

I am going absolutely out of my mind over this. I have been stuck at Requesting Image: 312 of 429 for a Bookpedia Mac to iPhone sync for an hour.

Both softwares are completely up to date. This is on a MacBookPro with Leopard (completely update to date).

I already tried rebooting both platforms. I am at my wits end over this. Other readers have posted that they reinstalled and it did no good.

I don't know what happened during the updates in the last 6 months, but this effectively breaks the product.

Please provide a viable solution! (Changing the clock on either platform does not work for me--I'm sorry.)

I've spent two hours on this today. I cannot afford to be troubleshooting this 2 hours every weekend when I want to do a simple sync.

This used to work so perfectly...what happened? The beta you suggest above seems to be DVDPedia. I don't need that--I'm using Bookpedia.

I hope your developers/programmers can provide a solution. Thanks.
sandysantra@mac.com
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by sandysantra@mac.com »

OK, last time, the images synced in 5 mins. I guess that's a bit of an improvement.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

OK, last time, the images synced in 5 mins
So the images finished syncing now? If so, your next sync should be very quick because the program will only need to update whatever data changed since the last sync as opposed to syncing everything.
billydo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by billydo »

So, if I understand correctly, the full-resync-from-scratch-everytime problem can be resolved only by keeping one's iPhone on 24-hour clock mode? Is there no DVDpedia fix?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We haven't been able to repeat this problem here and only heard from some users who suggested the 24-hour clock fix. Since we can't reproduce the problem here (and don't know where it's coming from) unfortunately we can't fix it in the Pedias.
billydo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by billydo »

OK. FYI I can confirm, having tested again this morning, that while my iPhone is left at its preferred time display setting (12 hour mode) the PocketPedia sync goes through the entire 5,700-DVD collection one by one, including images, every time you sync, regardless of whether I made changes to the database or not.

Changing the iPhone to 24 mode ON immediate corrects this behaviour. In a few seconds the sync completes (nothing to sync) and if you make changes to a single item, it finds that one item and changes it correctly on the phone.

If this problem didn't extend phone backup times so considerably, I wouldn't really mind.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the confirmation on the bug. This is an issue with iPhone OS X that we never managed to work around. Unfortunately, since we are no longer able to distribute the current version of Pocketpedia we would be unable to get a fix to you. Exciting features are being hinted at with the new iPhone OS 4.0 so by the next version we might be using a different technology.