iSight not working

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
sunracer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: iSight not working

Post by sunracer »

I'm new to DVDpedia - I found it when I tried to get all my DVDs into Librarian Pro and realized that I needed a tool like DVDpedia to make the job a lot easier. DVDpedia is a nice product and the plugins are very interesting. I purchased DVDpedia and I'm running it only on my one iMac that actually scans DVD successfully. On that iMac, it works virtually 100% of the time and it's very fast about 90% of the time. After about 100 DVDs (only ~600 to go) it's working well and scans most DVDs before I even realize that they've been scanned - with the barcode askew and even twisted and blurry.

As a programmer/engineer myself I don't think that the issue lies in the de-blurring of the iSight - only because my iMac scans often occur on much blurrier barcodes than I see on my other Macs when I hold the DVD very steady. This is, of course, just a wild guess and I'll continue to look at new versions to see if they work better.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

kbarnes70 wrote:Why?
Omitted/trimmed quoted text reduces the amount imposed vertical scrolling. It's noticeably tedious scrolling past distracting blocks of quoted text I've already seen in original posts that can easily be seen again if there's a reason to.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:
kbarnes70 wrote:Why?
Omitted/trimmed quoted text reduces the amount imposed vertical scrolling. It's noticeably tedious scrolling past distracting blocks of quoted text I've already seen in original posts that can easily be seen again if there's a reason to.
Get a Magic Mouse - scrolling is real easy then.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Let's see you use that Magic Mouse on my iPod Touch. ;)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:Let's see you use that Magic Mouse on my iPod Touch. ;)
For all the hype the Touch and the iPhone make for a poor browsing experience IMO because the screen is just too small. I use my iPhone for all sorts of things, including the brilliant Pocketpedia2, but I rarely use the browser. I like the dedicated apps that replace browser function with their own interface, such as IMDb for example, but browsing as such is a no-go area for me. I get my iPad in a couple of weeks and that will finally make portable browsing a realistic proposition I think.

Kind regards,

Keith
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

I agree with Keith, browsing on the iPhone is no fun. I'll read whole books on it, read comics via the wonderful ComicZeal app, but web browsing is very poor. Don't get me wrong, it's the best web browsing I've seen on any mobile phone, but the experience is still slow and clunky.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

I've noticed that when I open the iSight window to add a DVD, the image in the window is elongated, as thought the AR is wrong. If I hold a coin up to the camera, it is oval in the iSight window. This doesn't happen in other programs such as iChat that use the built-in camera. Is this how it's meant to be in DVDpedia (4.6.1) or is there a probkem here? The scanning seems to work as well as it has ever done, before I noticed this strange elongation. I am using OS-X 10.6.3 with all updates applied. My Mac is an iMac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Dio, model identifier iMac 7,1.

Kind regards,

Keith
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

But is the scanning working for you?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Nora wrote:But is the scanning working for you?
Yes - as well as it ever has. That is to say, it can be a bit hit and miss but that is probably down to me and the lighting and so on rather than problem in DVDpedia. TBH I don't use the scanning much - I really appreciated it when I first got DVDpedia and had to input hundreds of DVDs, but nowadays I add a few each week and it's just as easy to do that manually by entering the UPC by hand or just by doing a title search.

I just wondered if the elongated image was a fault or if it is meant to look that way! :) It doesn't worry me one way or the other and I certainly wouldn't want Conor to take time out to investigate it just for me. Is anyone else noticing this issue BTW?

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The elongated image on the high resolution iSight is purpose as some users found it the scanning worked better that way. So we are testing it out in an official release with a largest group of users to find out if it's indeed better. If there no difference will go back to using the regular version as it simply looks better to the user.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:The elongated image on the high resolution iSight is purpose as some users found it the scanning worked better that way.
Ah, OK. FWIW, I can report that it seems to make no difference here. HST, I never found the old version to be a problem on my iMac either. Good luck with it.

Kind regards,

Keith
Nanook
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Nanook »

Chiming in and reporting that I just noticed the scan window is different (aspect ratio is off and it seems I must hold bar codes closer so they get blurry) and am not able to scan any DVDs.

v. 4.6.1
MBP Mid '07 2.4 GHz
OS X.5.8

P.S. How's box set handling coming? ;)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the information. At the moment preparing the foundations for trying out some box set support ideas.