Bookpedia not Syncing

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
lgj001
Contributor
Contributor

Bookpedia not Syncing

Post by lgj001 »

Pocketpedia (on both iPad and iPhone) has stopped syncing with my Mac (Reports "Pedia not found please launch or restart the pedia application on your mac") - but DVDpedia still syncs fine(!) So far I have tried: 1) removing and re-installing Pocketpedia on my iPad, 2) Removing and re-installing Bookpedia on my Mac, and 3) Restoring the Dtaabse from a backup, and 4) running VACUUM on teh dtabase. Help!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia not Syncing

Post by Conor »

Pedia not found means that Pocketpedia never got a reply back from Bookpedia once it asked for the sync to begin. This normally means that the connection is blocked. I have done some updates to how the images get reduced in size for the iPhone or iPad, so please try out the beta version.

If the beta fails and since DVDpedia works, do check any firewall settings that might be blocking Bookpedia only. Both on your Mac under System Preferences -> Security as well as any router in the home network. To debug you can create a network from your Mac Airport menu and then connect your iPhone directly to this new network and then try the sync. If the sync then works it would point directly to a blocked connection on the regular home network. Otherwise do please take a look at your console log and send me any details from there.
lgj001
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lgj001 »

Hi Conor, thanks for the speedy reply. I downloaded the Beta version and its syncs perfectly, first time. Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Excellent. Thank you for testing that change. The official version will be out in a week or two.
brownsm

Post by brownsm »

Hi I am having a similar issue. I have deleted the app to start again as the app and software weren't talking to each other anymore. On the app I am now pressing sync and it is asking for permission from my mac. I am then pressing allow and nothing is happening.

I have tried the beta version above and no difference. I have specifically allowed bookpedia in the security settings and no change.

Parental controls are on but allow file sharing etc.

Thanks Sara
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Sara,

Thank you for the details. Since your getting the message to allow the sync but not the answer it means that Bookpedia is being blocked from replying to the iPhone. Did you try the dedicated network to rule out the router blocking the reply from Bookpedia? You will find the "Create Network..." option under the "wireless menu" on your Mac at the top right.

Regards,
Conor
brownsm

Post by brownsm »

Hi, I have tried using both my BT home router and via the wireless network created by the time capsule. I clicked create network as requested and linked the iPhone to my macbook but the app then said it wasn't connected to the internet. I then popped it on a local unsecure network and the app said synchronising.. requesting collections, but it just hangs and nothing happens.

It was working earlier in the summer, although I can't remember the date I last synced as we have been away end of July and quite a bit of August.

Thanks Sara
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Sara,

Thank you for the extra details. If you haven't already do try restarting both the Mac and the iPhone just in case. After a failed sync do look into your console log and send me any error messages from Bookpedia. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log. With it I might be able to give you a clue as to what might be going on.

If you two way sync is not an issue you can get all your data on your iPhone with file sharing in iTunes. Hold down the option key on the Mac and click on the main "help" menu and select "Export for Pocketpedia...". This will create an archive that you can then drag and drop on Pocketpedia file sharing area. It's located in "iTunes -> iPhone -> Apps -> File Sharing -> Pocketpedia" after you connect your iPhone via USB. By dragging the file there it will be copied over via the USB cable. Once the copy is done, launch Pocketpedia and it will see the special file and import it as the new database.

Kind regards,
Conor
Draakje

Post by Draakje »

I had to re-install the MacBook (Sierra). Pocketpedia is at the moment holding my collection. Reinstalled the latest version from But after pressing sync, I do get the pop-up to allow sync, but hitting OK does not place the collection to the MacBook with Bookpedia.

Both are on the same wireless network.

If I press cancel, pocketpedia will get the 'not allowed' signal correctly so there is communication.

The same happens with DVDPedia.

When I place a single book in BookPedia synchronisation starts, but it overrides the Pocketpedia collection on the iPhone
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Please read the recovery post on the other topic.