Amazon Killing Mobile Apps That Use Its Data

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
silverj
Inductee
Inductee

Re: Amazon Killing Mobile Apps That Use Its Data

Post by silverj »

In today's Washington Post (at least the online version), tech columnist Rob Pegoraro has an article "The iPhone gets easier to dislike" (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01576.html), with a comments section for those willing to sign in. Although Rob's focus was primarily on Apple's ejection of GoogleVoice's app, I used the comments column to try to spread a little further this news of the inexcusable treatment given PocketPedia and Delicious Library's app. Someone else might want to chime in there also. :D
witchkitten
Captain
Captain

Post by witchkitten »

Amazon.co.uk had much better customer service than Amazon.com. I still haven't heard anything from them. I wish they would at least acknowledge the complaint. I've sent a letter to the CEO's email. I don't think it will do any good (I doubt anyone actually reads it) but it was worth a shot.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

silverj wrote:In today's Washington Post (at least the online version), tech columnist Rob Pegoraro has an article "The iPhone gets easier to dislike"
And quotes Michael Arrington, ugh. Related: What's your douchebag name?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I would like to think they are listening to customers' feedback and making changes. From the developer side the answer has been impersonal but clear: "At this time Amazon is not allowing the use of the Product Advertising API for mobile device applications, and we are not prepared to approve your request to develop the service you outline below". I fear the answer users are getting are just standard replies with a date included to make them seem more concrete. I appreciate all the loyalty and support for Pocketpedia, hoping it will make a difference.
llaack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by llaack »

Wouldn't you know I'm late to the iphone bandwagon but jumped on largely thinking I could synch my 'pedia lists. The Amazon news is really, really regrettable and I much appreciate everyone's efforts to resolve it with them, but in the meantime any chance of offering a version with the Amazon search stripped out?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Any chance of offering a version with the Amazon search stripped out?
We wish it where that simple, we could do that change in about a day. Syncing the data over from the Pedias is also a problem for Amazon, being our main database it becomes our problem as well.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

I wonder why the Hunter Touch iPhone app that syncs with Dvd Hunter (and potential Amazon data) hasn't been pulled from the App Store.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

The story continues.... Again, no reply from Amazon, so wrote another complaint..
On 18/07/2009 I submitted a question regarding the removal of PocketPedia from the iTunes APP Store on demand of Amazon.
After 10 days(!), I received a response, telling me that I would be contacted on 31 july 2009 with more information on this issue.

On August 3 I still didn't have the promised reply and decided to send another email to inform on the status.

I was informed that "I’ve checked your account, and I can verify that this issue is still being looked into by my colleague. I have notified my colleague that you have enquired again about this issue and he will get back to you by August 05, 2009 ."

It's now August 7 and I'm still awaiting a response...

I'm starting to wonder HOW Amazon is 'Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company?'
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Bad news.. after all my e-mail exchange I was hoping on a Real reply on my questions.. Apparently my previous contact was overtaken by his boss, which looked up Amazons policy on issues like this.

In short,
"I've been exchanging e-mails with Amazon customer support for almost a month and all I got was this lousy reply"

Dear Mr. Van Stijn,

Thank you for your recent (ed: 3 weeks..) enquiry regarding PocketPedia.

As a matter of privacy, we cannot share information on specific Associates or their use of our services. However, we do ask that all Associates abide by the published terms of service.

We are therefore unable to provide any further information regarding this matter.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.co.uk.

James Brazil
Executive Customer Relations
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That is unfortunate that there is no change going on. We will have to look into making a version of Pocketpedia that does not sync Amazon data.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Conor wrote:a version of Pocketpedia that does not sync Amazon data.
At least for -now- that seems to be the only viable option, unfortunately. It's still a mystery to me why they allow desktop, but no portable apps. Would media attention wake up Amazon? Maybe it would be an option to try to get in contact with MacUser (uk) or MacWorld to get an article on this. Try to get an article with both Bruji and Delicious Monster (as they tend to get more media attention)... maybe Amazon will reconsider their policy.

Thinking of this, have you tried to contact Delicious on this subject? Did they get in touch with Amazon?
ltcarter47
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by ltcarter47 »

Conor wrote:That is unfortunate that there is no change going on. We will have to look into making a version of Pocketpedia that does not sync Amazon data.
If you guys go ahead with this and make the new non-Amazon enabled app, will it be seen in iTunes as an upgrade to the current one, or an entirely new app? Just want to make sure I don't replace my working one with a neutered version by accident when the time comes ;)
bradandbree
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by bradandbree »

I know this is going to take up a lot of space on this board, but I wanted to share the message I sent to Amazon. I don't expect them to acknowledge it in any way, but the more people comment on their policy in an intelligent, professional way the better chance there is that the policy will be modified. Anyway, here's what I emailed:
Greetings,
I have an extensive audio and video library, much of which has been purchased through Amazon.com. To catalog these titles, I use media databases for the Mac called DVDpedia and CDpedia, from Bruji software. Until recently, Bruji was able to offer an iPhone app called PocketPedia, which I could use to sync my collections and keep track of my titles. With over 3,000 CDs, it's easy to forget what I own and I have been known to buy a title I already have; PocketPedia keeps me from doing this.

One of the beautiful things about the Pedias and similar database applications is that they tap into the wealth of information, reviews, cover art, etc. accessible through Amazon.com. Much of this information is USER SUBMITTED, and indeed I have contributed over 40 images so far to titles that did not have good quality cover art. As you know, Bruji has been forced to remove PocketPedia from the iTunes store because of your change in TOS regarding mobile apps with Amazon search.

I know I am not the first person to comment on this decision, but let me chime in and express my displeasure with such a nearsighted mandate. Apps like PocketPedia are not shopping applications, they are databases. They do not take business away from you, they actually encourage it. Until this decision, if I was using any application to search for information about a title I did not own, I went to Amazon first to purchase it. Not any more.

I am not naive enough to think that losing one person's business is going to matter to the mighty Amazon.com, but it goes beyond that. I will no longer be submitting any additional reviews or images to the community, and I know other PocketPedia users share this feeling. The very community that you have worked to hard to foster is going to suffer because of this decision. It is unfortunate that this happened after my Amazon Prime subscription automatically renewed, but rest assured that if this decision is not modified, I will be canceling my Prime subscription after the next year, and I will be looking elsewhere to make purchases. I will also be encouraging others to do the same.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Thanks bradandbree! Still hoping someone at Amazon will start to listen or, at least, give a reasonable explanation for their change in policy..
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Will it be seen in iTunes as an upgrade to the current one, or an entirely new app?
We would put it up as a new app to avoid confusion, especially since there were quite a number of Pocketpedia users that where not desktop Pedia owners.
Would media attention wake up Amazon?
Daringfireball.net covered the story for us and Delicious, but you are right that an in-depth look at the situation might help. Will send and email out to magazines see if they would like to cover the story.