External HDD Copies of Movies

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Brian

External HDD Copies of Movies

Post by Brian »

I am completely new to DVDpedia and have found it extremely good; but need to ask the following question.

Can I choose a movie I have entered in DVDpedia and link it with an external drive digital copy of the movie so that it plays when chosen?

I have DVDpedia 5.4.1 and El Capitan

If the answer is yes, does the movie have to be a particular format?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: External HDD Copies of Movies

Post by Conor »

Glad you are enjoying DVDpedia. You can indeed link movie files to entries in DVDpedia. Use the "link" feature under the links tab when editing a movie. The quick shortcut is to drag and drop the movie file over the details view of the movie in the main DVDpedia window.

Once linked the movie can be played, by using the link in the details view, the play toolbar icon, play menu or command option-p. The play button will also be enabled in the full screen view in DVDpedia. The most common way to use DVDpedia is it will hand off the movie to be played by your preferred player be it Quicktime or VLC. So there is no need for it to be a particular format. But DVDpedia can show movies internally that Quicktime can read.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thank you Conor for the prompt reply.

Will any format do? MP4 etc

Regards
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Any format will do, you can even mix and match. MP4 is the internal to Quicktime, so it's likely to play directly in DVDpedia. Go to the preferences "DVDpedia -> Preferences" and check "Open in External Browser". This setting is what most users are looking for, then playing the movie will launch Quicktime in fullscreen.