Editing Genres

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
boldavenger

Editing Genres

Post by boldavenger »

Hello again!

Thank you for such a quick response to my last question (sorry for posting it twice - I can't find a way to delete one of them).

Since I've jumped in with Book, CD and DVDPedias I find I have two questions:

Is there a way to edit genres without having to select each item or group of items? For example, any Christmas CDs I have I'd like labeled as "Christmas", not "Holiday" and while I can do a mass edit once I find the items, I was wondering if there is a master list of genres somewhere in the program to where I could delete "Holiday" all together (or would this cause more problems than it's worth?).

My second question is about the end quotation mark following Artist name in CDPedia. Why is it there? Is there a way to hide it without going item by item and removing it?

I'm trying to learn as fast as I can and I'm only asking questions where I can find answers elsewhere. If I', not looking in the right place or by the correct method, please let me know.

Thank you,
Tony
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Editing Genres

Post by FineWine »

Hi Tony and welcome to the wonderful world of the pedia app's by Bruji and welcome to these forums.

I can answer your first question. You can edit ALL Autofill fields very easily; goto > File > Preferences > Autofill. Now in the "Autofill values for:" drop-down menu select Genre, highlight the entry you wish to delete and then just click on the minus (-) button at the bottom. You can also correct spelling by double clicking on the entry. If you click on the Rebuild button it will regrab all Autofill entries again.

As for the second question, I suspect that will require a bit of SQL code to remove the Quotation marks from all those entries and I best leave that upto the Father of the pedia's 'Conor" :D

As for the learning curve, well the pedia's are exceptionally easy to learn, that is their best asset really all due to their great and simple layout structure. Don't forget to check out the Extras page.

And finally Conor & Nora, the proud parents of these great app's :D , are only too willing to answer any and all questions. I belong to many computer forums and the pedia/bruji forums are the best; why? because 99% of the time you will get a response within 24 hours, either from Conor & Nora or from other forum members, in a way that is easy to understand and follow.

PS - they are on holiday at the moment so it may take 25 hours to get a reply 8)

Enjoy your pedia's

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Editing Genres

Post by Conor »

Thanks Finewine for taking over while we are on holiday. :D

As fine wine mentioned you can adjust your autofill in the preferences. But it will not affect your already entered entires. One great way that I find to use the autofill is to use the "Rebuild" button. It will set the values from all the current values in the database. It's a great way to see that all the genres are what you expect. If "Holiday" shows up after a rebuild, it means you need to do an internal search (top right) for "Holiday" and find the entry that still has it and change it.

There is a multiple edit that makes changing the existing value easy. First filter by "holiday" (top right search field) you can also limit it for just genre, by clicking on the magnifying glass in the search field and setting a scope. Select all the entries and use "Movie -> Edit". The multiple edit field will come up and "Holiday" will be in the genre field as all entries share that in common, remove it and hit okay. Now hit edit again and add "Christmas" to the genre. It will get appended to the existing genres. This is how the blue bubble fields work. I do think I allowed for doing the above in a single step (remove holiday and make it christmas), but just wanted to be cautious.

The question mark likely came from the DL import. Not sure why it's there. The one thing the Pedia is missing is a find and replace, which someday I must figure out a good interface for, don't want to add a whole new window for it. So in the meantime you are stuck with the open SQL format that the database is in. Sounds a bit scary but follow these steps. Open the program called Terminal in your /Applications/Utilities folder and copy paste these commands:

Code: Select all

cp ~/Library/Application\ Support/CDpedia/Database.cdpd ~/Library/Application\ Support/cdpedia/Backup.cdpd
sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/CDpedia/Database.cdpd
update zentry set zArtist = replace(zArtist, "?", "");
.exit
The third line there is the magic. It's a find and replace in SQL for ? for nothing in the artist field. So you will have to insert a ? if necessary to any artist that should have had it. If you want to target just the right hand of the artist you can do this one instead:

update zentry set zArtist = rtrim(zArtist, "?")
You can even use this for the Holiday replace:

update zentry set zgenre = replace(zgenre, "Holiday", "Christmas");
You can replace the third line on the code above or simply copy them line by line and then before the exist issue all the commands. and then the .exit command.

There is a list of functions for SQL here for reference, but just there for those who want to take a look. Please just ask, if you want to do a more complicated replace and I can look into it.

Although the Pedias are easy to use, there is a lot of depth. So don't hesitate to ask if you can't find an solution.