Custom field to Tag field?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
DreamStatic
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Custom field to Tag field?

Post by DreamStatic »

Many, many moons ago I made one of my Custom fields "Keywords", because I wanted to be able to tag my movies and the tag field didn't exist then, or I didn't know it existed. :) Either way, I now have 3700+ entries with random keywords in my Custom field. It works fine, but I hate wasting a custom field when one exists dedicated to its function. So is there an easy way to move all data in "Keywords (custom1) field to Tags?

Thanks so much for the info.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Custom field to Tag field?

Post by Conor »

You have to use the program called Terminal in your Utilities folder to accomplish the move directly on the database file using SQL commands.

1. Quit DVDpedia
2. Navigate to your home folder ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd and make a duplicate copy of that file as backup.
3. Open Terminal
4. Copy paste the following command one line at a time (update "custom1" to the correct custom field number):

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd
update zEntry set zTags = zCustom1 WHERE ztags is NULL;
.exit
5. Launch DVDpedia and the custom field should have been copied to the tags field, where the tags where empty.
6. Use DVDpedia to select all the entries and use the multi-edit to blank out the custom field and recover it.

If you already have some tags in the tags field then the you need to run one more SQL command before the ".exit" command above. This second command would update those entries where tags already exist and merge the two fields:

Code: Select all

update zEntry set zTags = zTags || ', ' || zCustom1 WHERE zTags is not NULL;
DreamStatic
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Custom field to Tag field?

Post by DreamStatic »

Worked like Magic. :) Just perfect.

As I said in my other post: http://bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2838

You continue to amaze me with the sharing of your time and knowledge. Thank you, Conor, very much! I appreciate you and Nora greatly.