Amazon Killing Mobile Apps That Use Its Data

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Amazon Killing Mobile Apps That Use Its Data

Post by Nora »

@d9pouces - Please use the email address we sent the beta out from to send us your feedback. Thanks.

@Greatcoco - Sorry but the beta is closed for now. If we start a second round we'll get in touch.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Since there are no big changes from our old version, this beta will likely be short and Pocketpedia should be available in the App Store in a few weeks.
hawkmoon666

Post by hawkmoon666 »

I've read pocketpedia will be back in some way, but I wrote an email to Amazon nonetheless. I am quite a big customer, I wonder what -and if- they will reply.
I took inspiration from what other users wrote ;) Here's the text:

I found out today that your new TOS policies for mobile devices have caused the iPhone app Pocketpedia not to work anymore.

I used to use this app a lot on my old iPhone to check if I already owned an item while physically browsing through stuff in a store, just *before* checking on Amazon if the same item is available at a lower price - which it usually is. Now I got myself a new iPhone and I found out this most useful app is no longer available.

I don't know where you are going with this new policy but as an Amazon customer I must say I am quite disappointed. You might say it's your database that Pocketpedia was using, but it is also true that YOU feature content (reviews, rates and the likes) written by US customers. It seems only fair to give back some.

As you well know, obtaining the loyalty of customers when it comes to ecommerce is hard. Keeping it is even harder. Choices like this one don't exactly go in this direction.

PS eagerly waiting for the new version of Pocketpedia :mrgreen:
claidheamdanns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by claidheamdanns »

I just lodged my complaint with Amazon.com ... well, worded more as a request, really.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for all the support.
searcher63
Contributor
Contributor

Post by searcher63 »

Dear Conor and Nora,

Just wondering if there is an update on the new Pocketpedia app? Has it been submitted to Apple yet?

I love the old one and don't really understand the commercial thinking behind Amazon limiting the use like this. If I can surf to Amazon and see the same data...what is the difference? Now, if they demanded you identified the data as coming from Amazon like with a small icon or logo...that might do what they want...

Anyway, I am eagerly awaiting the new app...pant, pant, pant, tongue hanging out....
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

searcher63 wrote:Just wondering if there is an update on the new Pocketpedia app? Has it been submitted to Apple yet?
If there was an update I'm sure Bruji would tell us. :)

And no doubt there will be an obvious announcement once it's available. I'd watch at least the Bruji News RSS feed for one.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Actually we submitted Pocketpedia2 for review this morning. So now the waiting begins. :) Once the app is released (keep your fingers crossed) we will definitely announce it on the blog and here in the forum.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Thanks for telling us. :)
searcher63
Contributor
Contributor

Post by searcher63 »

Yes, Thank you for letting us know...now...the countdown to launch! Or rather countdown to download! :D
Lyle
Miesmacher
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Miesmacher »

Hi,

just learned about this - and I am shocked. Here's what I wrote to the guys:
Hello,
I might not be the greatest Amazon customer, but I guess I was an early adopter in Germany and have, over the years, left quite a lot of money with your great company.

Great, however, is not what I just read when I was searching for a bookpedia iPhone app. It seems that Bruji's pocketpedia iPhone-app had to be retracted due to Amazon's intervention (<http://bruji.com/articles/2009/07/17/by ... cketpedia/>).

I have been a very good and very loyal customer for you. I feel *really* let down by the fact that I can't carry around my extensive book collection with me anymore thanks to Amazon.

I will buy my German language books from a Swiss vendor (exlibris.ch) from now on and will find another seller for English books in Germany - I am quite confident, as there are many around. My occasional shopping with Amazon US will stop and I will cancel your web services.

I am *really* appalled by your very unfriendly attitude.

No offense intended, but taken,
best regards,
Thorsten

PS: I am looking forward to a substantial answer, but please spare me the "world's most customer oriented company"-talk...

Cheerio and thanks for your great application,
Thorsten

*Edit* No message from Amazon after 10 days.
Last edited by Miesmacher on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the support. Please do let us know if you get a meaningful answer as we are very interested in their position and reasoning for the ban.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Pocketpedia2 is now in the App Store. Thank you for all the support.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Conor wrote:Pocketpedia2 is now in the App Store. Thank you for all the support.
Congratulations! Thanks so much to all people at Bruji :) this is the Christmas present that was top on my wish list for this year!