The DVDPedia 'update' is a deal killer

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
jd990exp

The DVDPedia 'update' is a deal killer

Post by jd990exp »

So after the software prompted me to update, it then told me after a set time I have to pay for said update.

I can't downgrade, so I begrudgingly attempt to pay for the update.

However, when I get to the update page, when I change my email to a current one (the email registered on the site is no more, and I can't take the chance that I will pay for an update which will mail an activation key to a dead email account), the site IS CHARGING ME FULL PRICE.

I've had it. Bruji is an absolute rip off, bordering on fraudsters. So my 'upgrade' is full price? Please, assuming you're not fraudsters from some crumbling eastern European country, tell me how you can justify this, Bruji? That you are charging someone who bought your software FULL PRICE for a MANDITORY upgrade?

I am going to cross post this to avmaniacs and dvdtalk to get the word out. Bruji, it fully appears you are ripping me off. You want to charge me FULL PRICE for an UPGRADE? Can you please attempt to explain this one? I'm beyond pissed that I can't use the software I bought, and I can't pay for the upgrade without you folks jacking the price. Any suggestions?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: The DVDPedia 'update' is a deal killer

Post by Nora »

I'm sorry the update process didn't go smoothly for you but I have to admit that I'm hurt you're calling us fraudsters and a rip off. If you would simply send us an email to tell us about your new email address, we're happy to update that in our system and you'll be set to receive the update coupon.

The email address is what the system uses to check whether you're eligible for the update discount or not so if you change the email address during checkout, the system cannot match you to the previous order anymore and thus invalidates the coupon.

Of course updates are not mandatory. If you'd rather stick with version 4, you can download that here: DVDpedia 4.6.8.

Make sure after you downgrade to version 4.6.8 you delete the data file for version 5 (Database.dvdpd) so that if you ever do decide to update, the program will be forced to do this from your 4.6.8 file. You will find the file in the DVDpedia data folder, located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia

If you're on Lion, it hides the Library folder by default so to go to your DVDpedia data folder you have to use the Finder's 'Go' menu, select 'Go to Folder' and copy paste ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia into the window that appears.
jd990exp

Post by jd990exp »

I appreciate your response Nora. I hope you understand how an upgrade coupon attempting to charge full price looks suspicious.

I will shoot an email to support, although support says it will "likely take a few days" to get a response. So a customer with 'cash in hand' has to wait a few days to pay you, apparently.

I will search for alternatives to this software (something I would never have done if, say, I could have paid for the upgrade), and if I find one before the response, well, so be it.

Thanks again for your reply.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

"likely take a few days"
Since there are only three of us here at Bruji and usually I am the only one answering emails as well as forum questions (since Conor is generally busy coding and Alex working on the website and Doghouse) we do warn people that it might take a day or two for us to get back to them. But it usually doesn't take longer than a few hours as the missing part of the quoted sentence makes clear with "most likely sooner". If that's too long a wait for you then I'm very sorry and hope you find a good alternative to our programs.
Bobo
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Bobo »

jd990exp wrote:I appreciate your response Nora. I hope you understand how an upgrade coupon attempting to charge full price looks suspicious.

I will shoot an email to support, although support says it will "likely take a few days" to get a response. So a customer with 'cash in hand' has to wait a few days to pay you, apparently.

I will search for alternatives to this software (something I would never have done if, say, I could have paid for the upgrade), and if I find one before the response, well, so be it.

Thanks again for your reply.
c'mon guy...
You are talking about near 20 US$ oder 15 EUR.
If you want support in an hour, you have to pay much more money...

Sorry, but I can't understand this... :-(

Peter.
kpetersen6925
Inductee
Inductee

Post by kpetersen6925 »

My question is why do we have to pay for an upgrade? We have already paid for the software....
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Most of the features and details have been covered before. It's 5 years of work that went into the upgrade and already 3 years of maintenance updates to version 5. We do our best work all the time and hence if you are happy with the older version there is no need to purchase the upgrade. Although obviously we would prefer if you supported the continued development of the Pedias. :)