Newbie Q1 Changing info

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Canada Mike
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie Q1 Changing info

Post by Canada Mike »

Hi, I just got started with DVDpedia, and I quite like it. But, here's a question: Several of my imported movies have totally insane info. So, I go to IMDB, bet the proper number and url, and put them in Extras. But when I update, sometimes nothing happens, and sometimes there's some change but not totally, e.g., not the cast. Is there a way I can tell it to use the IMDB # for everything?

TIA,
Michael
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Newbie Q1 Changing info

Post by adamhh »

Hi Mike

Welcome to the bruji forum.

> Go into Preferences (in DVDpedia next to the apple) > go to 'sites', >move imdb to the top of your list. While you are there click on the cog to let dvdpedia know exactly what info you want to harvest from imdb. Job done!

I suspect the reason for some but not all changes after imdb update is because DVDpedia won't replace fields with data already filled in. This is kind of handy when you want to add stuff but maintain the integrity of any info you already have. If you want field entries to be replaced you must delete them.

BTW you don't have to go to IMDB to get no etc, just click on the cog in edit view (Just above the 'OK' button in bottom right hand corner) and choose IMDB - or whatever.
:)
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

As adamhh said, move IMDb to the top of the list, I have always found they have the most accurate credit list and in a good order. But the trick to getting a good looking end result is to delete all the credit entries from your data base first then update from IMDb. Amazon is not so good at providing a good credit list but is good for providing sound, display, video formats plus region and other localized info (Pal/NTSC) to that particular DVD info.
Canada Mike
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Canada Mike »

Thanks, folks. I actually found that deleting the entry (after copying the link) and starting again works. Seems easier than deleting individual fields. Gotta say, I'm really enjoying this program.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Canada Mike wrote:I actually found that deleting the entry (after copying the link) and starting again works. Seems easier than deleting individual fields.
And deleting individual fields from, then updating, batches of selected entries surely would be easier/quicker than individually deleting/recreating each of those entries. :)
Canada Mike
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Canada Mike »

I suspect, SJK, that you are right if I am doing a batch. Mostly, though, it happens to an individual film on closer inspection. You know - I suddenly realise that someone with a name like Okizaki, did not star in My Fair Lady... The cover image might be right, but everything else is wrong. In that case I find it easier to begin again, and then just drag the file in.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

I recently used a combination of both methods, deleting/updating individual fields and deleting/recreating full entries, during database housekeeping after upgrading to v5. I've finally cleaned up the most undesirable mix of Amazon and IMDb data but there's still room for improvement.