Failed Search will result in a pre-filled Add if selected

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
popeye

Failed Search will result in a pre-filled Add if selected

Post by popeye »

My first posting so apologies if this is already on the wish list.
If I run a Search on a specific title and it comes back with no results, as a time saver, I'd like to immediately select Add and find my search argument already typed there, rather than having to re-type it.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Failed Search will result in a pre-filled Add if selecte

Post by Nora »

You're talking about adding the search keyword into the 'Title' field when manually adding an entry after a search didn't produce a result, is that correct? Unfortunately that's not possible since the search is too flexible for the program to know what you typed into the search field to begin with: the title, a bunch of keywords, the UPC... So the program wouldn't know which field to put that information in to when you open a manual add window. But thank you for the feedback.
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Welcome Popeye.

I think I know what you mean, it is kind of annoying to have to retype. I always try to copy the search term before hitting the search button. That way I can paste it into a manually added box if necessary. I also like to verify data, so this paste is also used in another web search in wikipedia/rovi/etc. (This would be a 3rd typing otherwise - and it really bugs me when I forget to copy my search title, which of course I do from time to time!)
popeye

Post by popeye »

On the button Adam and thanks for the welcome.
Not the answer I was hoping for Nora, so looks like I'll have to continue using the procedure Adam outlined.
I was assuming the search string could be copied to the Add text string variable at the moment the search button was triggered and immediately cleared if the Add button wasn't the next option selected.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for mentioning the clipboard - that makes more sense and is absolutely doable. Starting with the next version of the Pedias (5.0.2), when a search is returned as not found whatever is in the search field gets automatically copied into the clipboard. Then you can press the "Add Manually" button so you can paste the information into the appropriate field of the blank Add window that appears.