DVDPedia: Does DVDPedia handle multiple titles?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDPedia: Does DVDPedia handle multiple titles?

Post by joel »

Scenario:
I have been upgrading my DVD library to Blu-Ray.
Additionally many titles include digital copies.

I like to export my library to my website, but this results in several duplicate listings.
Also, much of the information is the same for the duplicates.

Is there a way for DVDpedia to handle multiple copies of a single title, similar to how card catalog software works in a public library?

Ideally each main record would hold the information that was the same for each copy (director, actor, cover art, description, star rating, genre, tags, etc) and each "copy" would contain format, price, purchase date, borrowed status, etc.

Also, many movies have special edition/extended/unrated editions that might also be used this way — for example I have a copy of Blade Runner that has five different versions of the movie on the disk, and I have both the theatrical and extended versions of the Lord of the Rings.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDPedia: Does DVDPedia handle multiple titles?

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the description. Right now the only way to handle several different formats is to use copy/paste an entry and then change the details or to use some of the custom fields to list the different formats. Of course neither is ideal in your situation as one is too much information and the other too little. Expanding the program to work in card catalog style has a lot of implications in many areas of the program so it's unlikely to change, but we will keep it mind when doing the next big overhaul.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDPedia: Does DVDPedia handle multiple titles?

Post by sjk »

joel wrote:Is there a way for DVDpedia to handle multiple copies of a single title, similar to how card catalog software works in a public library?

Ideally each main record would hold the information that was the same for each copy (director, actor, cover art, description, star rating, genre, tags, etc) and each "copy" would contain format, price, purchase date, borrowed status, etc.
Sounds similar to what I mentioned here:

I wouldn't mind if certain info was merged/shared between multiple instances of an entry. For example, the DVD vs. Blu-ray entries for Monsters, Inc. have differences for info that could be identical. Hmm, there are four unique entries for that title. Doghouse seems more like an "Amazon style" (product-centric) than "IMDb style" (title-centric) database, which is understandable.

… and discussion in the Films vs physical media topic.