How do I get this sorting matter to work right?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

How do I get this sorting matter to work right?

Post by jenv »

In CDpedia I have sorting set to sort by last word, since that is how personal names are collated. In order to properly sort band names, which unlike personal names are collated by the first word, I have set the sort field to the band name minus spaces, like so: IronMaiden, JudasPriest, etc. All well and good for a mixed set of band and personal names until I found this corner case. I have albums by Black Sabbath and Blackmore's Night. The sort fields are thus:

BlackSabbath
BlackmoresNight

Black Sabbath should collate first, because Black has fewer letters than Blackmore. As you can see, however, these sort names make Black Sabbath collate last. How do I get these to sort in the right order?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: How do I get this sorting matter to work right?

Post by Conor »

The official way is to use the sort artist field. Go into the main CDpedia menu and select Preferences -> Fields (tab). There find the sort artist field and check the box to turn it on. Click on the column headers in table view and display the sort artist field. Then for Black Sabbath you would enter "Black Sabbath" and for Blackmores Night you would enter "Blackmores Night". No need to enter anything else, as should the sort artist field be empty it will default back to artist. Do click on another column and back on artist column if the sort artist is not being picked up. You can remove the sort artist column and use the edit window as well to edit those values.

The same can apply for the other band names if you would like to keep the space in the band name. Otherwise, without the sort artist you could probably use a dash as that would have the same sorting preferences as a space.

Black-Sabbath
BlackmoresNight