Not access to Amazon anymore

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Not access to Amazon anymore

Post by PascalB »

Hi everyone,

Since last week, I can no longer access Amazon from BookPedia and CDPedia, yet I have made no changes or updates.

I checked my keys in the AWS and everything is OK.

In doubt, I erased my old keys and I created new ones.

It does not work, I have the message "Your AKIAISA36O3HBZSCV3UQ is not registered as an Amazon Associate. Please register as an associate at ..."

I think it's the Associate Id that does not work. Before it was my Amazon login email address.

Is there anything changed?

Thanks,

Pascal
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Not access to Amazon anymore

Post by Conor »

Amazon updated their system so that the email address used for the web services has to be linked with the associate login as well. If the email address are different you can add the second email address as a secondary in the associate tab under account settings. You can follow the URL in the error message to make the changes to the associate account and link it.

Otherwise you can use the beta method mentioned here. Sorry about the extra steps with the recent changes.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PascalB »

Thank you Conor.

The error message is not complete, that's why I put some..., so I have no link to click.

And the problem now is that I deleted my old keys and replaced them with new ones.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for letting me know, I'll look at making the error message area bigger.

You can get the complete message from the Console log. Using the Application called Console in /Applications/Utilities, as all errors get sent there by the Pedias.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PascalB »

Conor wrote:Thank you for letting me know, I'll look at making the error message area bigger.

You can get the complete message from the Console log. Using the Application called Console in /Applications/Utilities, as all errors get sent there by the Pedias.
Better late than never, thank you again for your prompt reply.

I tried what you said but for the time being, no success with the secondary address recorded. I will try again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Do try the Amazon Test option to get you up and running.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PascalB »

Conor wrote:Do try the Amazon Test option to get you up and running.
Thanks very much Conor.

I have downloaded CDPedia and BookPedia and both are working well !
audacious
Captain
Captain

Post by audacious »

I am having the same issue. When attempting to obtain this Associates ID I am required to enter my URL. I do not have a URL as I am not looking for referral commission.
I did try the beta test and that worked.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Hi Team - it seems Amazon is not working again.
Tried with my own Associate ID and with Bruji Amazon Test function.

Used the following examples: (these are epub's)
Night Pleasures, Sherrilyn Kenyon, B003151JW4
Illusion, Sherrilyn Kenyon, B00FAT9FZW

macOS 10.13.1
Bookpedia 5.6

EDIT: OK after more experimentation and research.

Some hardcover/paperback ASIN numbers work in USA store but not UK store using Bookpedia search, but DO WORK within the USA/UK store via the browser.

USA store works but not UK store Bookpedia search both work via browser
Mark Julian Vampire P.I.: The Case No One Foretold by Kyle Cicero ASIN = B01F7YG79Q

Neither stores work in Bookpedia search but do work via browser
The Magician's Land, Lev Grossman, ASIN = B00O30HHTK

Hope this makes sense
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for all the details. Sounds like you might be using your own keys. Currently with the interface you can't set an associate ID for each country, so you would have access to single country search. Likely the USA version.

Do the "Amazon Test" with the option key and look for a check mark next to the menu command that indicates that it's turned on. This will load the appropriate associate key for each store giving you access to both.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

There still something weird happening.

Associate ID
Night Pleasures, Sherrilyn Kenyon, B003151JW4 - UK = NO, USA = NO
Illusion, Sherrilyn Kenyon, B00FAT9FZW, UK = NO, USA = NO
Mark Julian Vampire P.I.: The Case No One Foretold by Kyle Cicero ASIN = B01F7YG79Q, UK = NO, USA = YES
The Magician's Land, Lev Grossman, ASIN = B00O30HHTK, UK = NO, USA = NO

Bruji Amazon Test
Night Pleasures, Sherrilyn Kenyon, B003151JW4 - UK = YES, USA = NO
Illusion, Sherrilyn Kenyon, B00FAT9FZW, UK = YES, USA = NO
Mark Julian Vampire P.I.: The Case No One Foretold by Kyle Cicero ASIN = B01F7YG79Q, UK = YES, USA = YES
The Magician's Land, Lev Grossman, ASIN = B00O30HHTK, UK = YES, USA = NO

Using Associate ID I have NO access to UK store and only one access to USA store
Using Bruji Amazon Test I have YES access to UK store and only one access to USA

All do work in the UK AND USA stores via the browser.

Am I missing something here or is there a Bruji bug or a Amazon problem?

EDIT: A thought! Does the Bruji Amazon Test ID over-ride my Associate ID? Could there be a conflict? Would Bruji Amazon Test ID work as should if I totally removed my Associate ID credentials from Bookpedia preferences? I really do not want to muck around with this as it has been working all this time.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the testing and debugging with the exact same details. With your data I was able to narrow it down to a change in the search with the kindle versions at the USA store. Normally the ASIN numbers are not cross country references, but should be the case with the Kindle versions as it's the same digital file sold digitally and there is no ISBN number. The reason it's not loading is the reply from the USA store is now "This item is not accessible through the Product Advertising API." This tends to come and go at Amazon mood, on what they want to expose through the API. Not sure why they limit some Kindle versions, for some competitive advantage.

The Amazon test over writes your own keys, there should be no conflict. There is a "if/else" that the Amazon Test goes through and it should not be loading your information although available in the preferences.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Conor wrote:The reason it's not loading is the reply from the USA store is now "This item is not accessible through the Product Advertising API." This tends to come and go at Amazon mood, on what they want to expose through the API. Not sure why they limit some Kindle versions, for some competitive advantage.
Thanks Conor - we all then just have to grin and bear it - big brother strikes again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sadly, but hopefully they will come back. I think it's a temporary restraint, maybe for the holiday season?