Automatic local poster import from IMDB

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Automatic local poster import from IMDB

Post by udo »

Would it be possible to change the behaviour of what poster DVDpedia downloads from IMDB?

I have a German MacOS in Germany, so automatically get the German poster for a movie (if available).

Any way to tell the app to use the default poster?
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Automatic local poster import from IMDB

Post by FineWine »

As far as I know because IMDb is purely an English based website with the courtesy of providing other language text only support. Having test out the German language it still only shows the English poster artwork.

And even if your google language is set to German it still brings up the English poster artwork. Further testing with google, I found that to bring up the appropriate non English artwork is to stipulate the language in the search term eg. "German Frozen DVD artwork" even if your google language is set to German.

Then of course we have the difficulty of an English movie given a totally different title for a non English country.

Have you looked at 'right clicking' on the cover art box and selecting the appropriate selection: Amazon DE ?

Sorry that I can not be of more help. Perhaps Conor can be.
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by udo »

Having test out the German language it still only shows the English poster artwork.
Not here. If I use the site in a browser where I'm not logged in I get this view (and I did a search for the original title):

So, normally you get a localised version.

To avoid this I log in to IMDB where I made the appropriate personal settings.

The way I add movies to DVDpedia is by hitting command-F and then entering the IMDB reference #, e.g.: tt0075860.
Have you looked at 'right clicking' on the cover art box and selecting the appropriate selection: Amazon DE ?
I don't have access to Amazon in DVDpedia? Wouldn't help anyway, as that would give me some DVD/Blu Ray cover art?

I should add, that DVDpedia didn't use to have this behaviour in the past, but I'm not sure when this started. Something must have changed, maybe with the API?
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Apologies re IMDb, you are correct re German UI and artwork. I used as a test the 1976 movie "Midway" and the artwork is all English. I should have tested "Frozen" out instead. :oops:
The way I add movies to DVDpedia is by hitting command-F and then entering the IMDB reference #, e.g.: tt0075860.
Within the 'Search/Add" box, you can narrow your search down by clicking on the small magnifying glass on the far left of the insert box and then select your desired repository. You can also narrow that further by selecting 'Limit to:' and 'Search for:'
I don't have access to Amazon in DVDpedia? Wouldn't help anyway, as that would give me some DVD/Blu Ray cover art?
Did you know that all the desktop pedia's have a built-in Pedia AWS facility: Hold the Opt key whilst clicking on the Help menu and ensure there is a Tick next to Amazon Test, if not just click on it. Now goto Preferences > Sites > Amazon Settings and the Access Key: field should read Amazon Test Enabled. Now click the blue Sign Up button.
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by udo »

FineWine wrote:I should have tested "Frozen" out instead. :oops:
:D All good. But I remembered that I should maybe add my version and system:

I'm on Beta 261 (because of: https://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... mdb#p28286)
MacBook Air M1, Monterey 12.6.5 (21G531)

You can change the preferred language on imdb.com and that will give you localised poster art, if available.
Maybe it would be possible to add that in the API request? Any way for users to edit that then?
Did you know that all the desktop pedia's have a built-in Pedia AWS facility: […]
No, I didn't know that. But Amazon gives box art instead of the original posters.