newbie questions about duplicates

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
JohnG
Inductee
Inductee

newbie questions about duplicates

Post by JohnG »

Pedia’s

I’m interested in books, music and films / tv
    Both my book & music collection run into 1,000s across multiple formats
    And I have ended up with duplicates (of both the same media and across different media)

I’ve tried lots of alternatives, none quite give me what I need.
    I’ve downloaded the trial version of Bookpedia, whilst I can understand a 20 item limit is very sensible, it doesn’t let me answer my (pre-purchase) questions.

How - exactly will it handle duplicates?

I don’t want duplicates to be ignored, but reported and (possibly) accepted

I have:
    • Physical books (occasionally multiple copies, usually different editions)
      Kindle books
      Ebooks from 3rd part sources - typically O’Reilly and Humble Bundle
    I’d like to be able to
    • Import CSV list of kindle books (i.e. via Goodreads)
      Import other CSV lists of books / ebooks - potentially differing formats
      [x] Import CSV list Delicious Library (saw that)
      [x] Scan new physical books
    I’d like to know
    what I have before I buy (mistakenly)
    Sometimes it’s convenient to have both e-books & physical - for annotations

Similarly music
    • Vinyl
      CD
      Items digitised from the above
      Digital albums bandcamp / emusic / HDtracks / SoS
    I have vinyl duplicates, sometimes by choice, and multiple CD versions and HDtrack FLAC versions eg LZ 1-4 (re-engineered)

I’d like to be able see the multiple versions next to each other or flagged as different columns on the same record
    LZ1 (vinyl) / standard CD / LZ1 (part of CD remasters box set) / LZ1 HDTracks 24bit/96kHz / My Library copy {in this instance the HDtracks version}

Is it possible to accept duplicates in the catalog loading phase and then turn it off?
    I also need to discover if I have digitised all my collection onto my music server
    (By the way, in case any cares I have kept several bulky boxes retaining my CDs after digitising - as proof of purchase,)

I can see others have happily moved over from DL and other collection apps, I’d appreciate learning from your experiences (before adding to my collection of collection apps)
    thanks
    FineWine
    Site Admin

Re: newbie questions about duplicates

Post by FineWine »

Hi and welcome to these forums.

Each time you import a duplicate your pedia will report it. You can either 'Add' or 'Cancel'. How you treat that duplicate is now up to you. If you go to View > Display Duplicates - it will display a list of all Duplicates.

Allowing duplicates to be added during scanning

By default, DVDpedia checks for duplicates during scanning so that you don't accidentally add the same entry twice. Howerver if you want to add more than one copy of an entry via scanning (for example, for a lending library or video store), open the application Terminal found in Applications/Utilities and type in the line below, followed by a return:

defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "Scan Duplicates" -bool YES

With books. Within my own 'Book Library' main collection in the Format Field I have:
    Hard Cover
    Paper Back
    Trade Back
    Oversize
    iBook
    Kindle
    iKindle
    PDF
    I then have made 'Smart Collection's' of these formats

For my Kindle Unlimited collection, as I do not own those books, as they are rental only, I have made an 'Excluded' collection and in the Format field it is iKindle.

For more information about how to use the Pedia's please read the corresponding 'Help' in Help > Bookpedia Help > Overview in particular; 'Importing Collections'
    Also have a read of this Topic: Best Practices for adding old books?

Just take note that all the Pedia's are very Customisable. With your trail version have a really good play with it. With 20 entries you can not do too much damage. In Bookpedia > Preferences > Fields is where you can really have some fun. Those entries in italics is where you can name your own Field. Also you can drag up & down their position within Main or Extra.

You can also download and install, free, additional templates to Export your collections, install new Detail Views to change up your Pedia program and enhance the programs' features with menu and search plug-ins written by other Pedia users.

I hope I have answered some if not all of your questions, if not come and post again.

Cheers and enjoy your pedia's