Covers - size, what do you recommend?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
johnwesleybarker
Contributor
Contributor

Covers - size, what do you recommend?

Post by johnwesleybarker »

My CDPedia has 2084 entries.

I often scan the covers and go for high quality but the Covers folder is 1.82 GB, which is too much when I sync them with Pocketpedia.

What size images is ideal? To retain good quality.

I'm hoping I can do a batch conversion using Graphic Converter to reduce the size of the images.

Thanks.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Covers - size, what do you recommend?

Post by FineWine »

The pedia's have been coded for the jpeg format at 72 DPI and it will automatically convert to that. Obviously if you start with a higher quality image you end up with a higher quality on down sizing. Quality in = Quality out or garbage in = garbage out

Now having said that. That was in versions prior to the 64bit major overhaul version 6. There has been talk about transparent edges and using png formats. Whether this has occurred I am not sure. Whether this has changed in Version 7 I do not know.
johnwesleybarker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnwesleybarker »

Kia ora FineWine, thank you for your reply.

UPDATE

The Covers folder of my CDPedia contained 2,120 images totalling 1.82 GB. Size from 9 KB up to 6.2 MB.

On my CDPedia 6.1.0 (macOS 10.13.6 MacMini Mid 2011), the app had not compressed them to 72 dpi but they are all *.jpg - I usually save the images I scan as *.png. The largest image 6.16 MB in the folder is 600 dpi, which is the resolution to which my scanner (HP OfficeJet Pro 7740) is set.

Following advice from Lemke who sent me a link to Scaling images by batch editing in Graphic Convertor, I resized all the covers.jpg to size 480 X 480 which reduced the folder of 2,120 images to only 82.3 MB - a considerable reduction.

After replacing the images in the CDPedia directory, the Pocketpedia app storage couldn't be deleted on the iPhone so I deleted Pocketpedia then reinstalled and syncronised afresh. Achieving the desired outcome, namely, Pocketpedia is now only occupying 202.1 MB on the phone instead of 1.77 GB.
emmayashri

Post by emmayashri »

Hey hi, resizing the images to around 500 pixels in width or height should retain good quality while significantly reducing file size. You can use graphic converter for batch conversion, jpeg compressor for image compression and you can experiment with different sizes to find the right balance between quality and file size. .
Last edited by emmayashri on Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

The only tool I have mostly used for resizing and converting formats is macOS inbuilt Preview app. Simple and fast and of course free.