Can't Seem to Launch .avi Files

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ewoo
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Can't Seem to Launch .avi Files

Post by ewoo »

I'm in the process of evaluating DVDPedia (& Remote Buddy)... I'm trying to launch avi (and divx) files from the Full Screen mode by adding links to the Advanced Info section. When I select PLAY from the Full Screen mode, I get mixed success.

1. When Quicktime Player (with Perian) is open the file plays. But not when it's closed.
2. How do I associate VLC as my primary .avi player?
3. Can I get DVDPedia to launch VLC to play ISOs?
4. If the avi files are multipart and I add each link to the info section, will DVDPedia queue them all up?

I develop software on Windows for a living but as you can tell, I'm a klutz when it comes to the Mac.

Thanks for the help!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

DVDpedia relies on the Finder to launch the correct program. If you like o launch both your .avi files and ISO files with VLC, select them in the finder and choose "Get Info" from under the file menu. You will then be able to select what program to launch the file with. You can do this for each of your movie files or use the change all button to apply it to all .avi and ISO files.

We are working on providing you a menu to select a movie from when more than one movie file is linked in a single entry. To play them consecutively you will have to create a playlist of the files in VLC save the file and then link that file in DVDpedia, that will launch VLC with the playlist all set up.

Map RemoteBuddy's play button to option-p to play a movies in fullscreen mode, as otherwise Remote Buddy will intercept the remote events and they will never reach DVDpedia.
ewoo
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by ewoo »

Gotcha. Thanks for the info! I'll give it a shot tonight.
ewoo
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by ewoo »

Thanks! Everything worked.
ewoo
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by ewoo »

Conor wrote:To play them consecutively you will have to create a playlist of the files in VLC save the file and then link that file in DVDpedia, that will launch VLC with the playlist all set up.
When I link a playlist to a movie, it doesn't seem to associate it as a movie file. I've set the playlist (m3u) extension to launch VLC by default and can do so in Finder but won't do it from DVDPedia. I've also set the entry as a "DVD" type too.

Am I missing something?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I have added m3u extension to be recognized as a movie. You can download DVDpedia again. Also setting the type of the link to "Movie" (in the language that you use DVDpedia) will also tell DVDpedia to treat the link as a movie, useful for extensions that it might not know otherwise.