updating info

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Lassie

updating info

Post by Lassie »

Feature request:

When I added a DVD, and later on I want to update all the information (for example, the user rating and the number of votes), it ain't working.

When I right click, then go to 'get advanced information from selection' (translation may be sucky, i'm using dutch version) and select IMDB, it won't update the number of votes (for example).

Could this be a feature? Maybe even a button, something like: update information? (then via settings, set a default site for getting the up-to-date information).

Thanks in advance for posting any reply ;)
KiplingCat
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Updating Information

Post by KiplingCat »

You need to first delete the information such as "Viewer Rating" (votes) which you want updated. This is so DVDpedia doesn't overwrite information you may have obtained from another source (or which may have changed on the original source to something, like a review, which is less desirable).
Lassie

Re: Updating Information

Post by Lassie »

KiplingCat wrote:You need to first delete the information such as "Viewer Rating" (votes) which you want updated. This is so DVDpedia doesn't overwrite information you may have obtained from another source (or which may have changed on the original source to something, like a review, which is less desirable).
Thanks, works indeed :) Only point is when you want to update often it takes quite a lot of time.

But at least it's possible :)
KiplingCat
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by KiplingCat »

Lassie wrote: Only point is when you want to update often it takes quite a lot of time.
I agree. I currently only update if I'm editing an individual title. It would be nice to have a user preference that would allow one to optionally update "Viewer Rating" automatically (i.e. overwrite only that field) from the site of choice (Amazon or IMDb, I prefer the latter) whenever DVDpedia is launched.
Along that line (albeit much further out), it would be great if the program could save the historical "Viewer Ratings" and optionally plot them with "date" as the X-axis and "rating" as the Y-axis, perhaps on a separate tab or in a pop-up window.
Lassie

Post by Lassie »

KiplingCat wrote:
Lassie wrote: Only point is when you want to update often it takes quite a lot of time.
I agree. I currently only update if I'm editing an individual title. It would be nice to have a user preference that would allow one to optionally update "Viewer Rating" automatically (i.e. overwrite only that field) from the site of choice (Amazon or IMDb, I prefer the latter) whenever DVDpedia is launched.
Along that line (albeit much further out), it would be great if the program could save the historical "Viewer Ratings" and optionally plot them with "date" as the X-axis and "rating" as the Y-axis, perhaps on a separate tab or in a pop-up window.
Now we are talking ! :D
philc

Post by philc »

I too would like to be able to have an overwrite option particularly for the viewer rating to keep it up to date.

Don't know about the historical viewer rating - to me it would seem that the best information is the one that is currently there anyway. Previous viewer ratings are just a less accurate view of what others think of the movie (since there were less votes in the previous ones). For IMDB (and probably others too), the viewer rating tends to go down a little over time, as those most enthusiastic about it would see it first, skewing the results. They all follow a similar path. So why have historicals if the most recent is the most accurate indication of consensus opinion?