iSight scanning problem on new MacBook Pro

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
alfrank
Inductee
Inductee

iSight scanning problem on new MacBook Pro

Post by alfrank »

Since I have my new MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz (15" LED Backlight Display) the EAN scanning over the built-in iSight doesn't work any more at all !

It worked very well with my previous (2.16 GHz) MBPro.

I found that the new iSight has in fact a resolution of 1280*1024 versus the previous 640*480 pixels. But Apple does interpolate that down in iChat and Quicktime. Here's a test app that uses the full resolution of the new iSight: http://macdaddyworld.com/?p=19

In DVDpedia the image is even distorted, it's horizontally squeezed, i.e. squares are taller than they are wide.

Please help...
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We heard about the resolution and ratio change in the new laptops, thanks for bringing it up though. We'll try to adapt the code and have the programs distinguish between the two different cameras.
bernard
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

LED backlit Macbook Pro

Post by bernard »

Version 4.0.4 dosen't work either with the built-in iSight for bar code scanning.

But, there is a but, one can still capture full color cover art with it. Funny enough.

When scanning bar code, the iSight gives a black and white image and out of focus.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We have to update the iSight barcode scanner for the new iSights in the new MacBookPros, they have a better camera with a higher resolution than the scanner expects.
spr

Post by spr »

With which models did this camera resolution change occur?
I have a Mac Book Pro, and can't get the built-in camera to scan any barcodes at all in BOOKPEDIA. Have tried several books.

Seems faster and simpler to just use a hand-held barcode scanner.

Appreciate recommendations on quality scanners.

Thx,
Steve
Howard
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

iSight Problems

Post by Howard »

I have a MacBook Pro 2.33 Core 2 and my hit rate for ISBN scanning is under 10%. I have played with the trial of Bookster and it is above 50% and faster. I bought Bookpedia knowing this was the case because I like the software otherwise. But this means there must be some way to improve the scanning in Bookpedia without needing to purchase an outboard scanner. I am not a software guru so I have no idea how one would do this but someone has clearly figured out a better way.

Howard
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

As mentioned in previous posts, we have to update our iSight code for it to play nice with the new iSights. It's the next thing on our to do list so hopefully we'll be able to deliver this feature soon. (Since we don't actually have one of the new iSights testing might take a little longer than usual.)
ZZamboni
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by ZZamboni »

Hi,
Nora wrote:As mentioned in previous posts, we have to update our iSight code for it to play nice with the new iSights. It's the next thing on our to do list so hopefully we'll be able to deliver this feature soon.
I would like to add a "me too" for this request. I have a new MBP, and I have not been able to scan any barcodes using the built-in iSight. I even paid for DVDpedia since I think it's a very nice program in any case, but it would be really nice to be able to scan the barcodes instead of typing them - I've held off entering all of my collection in it since I saw this thread, waiting for an update.

If you want testers for the fix, I'd be happy to volunteer.

Thanks!
Howard
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

iSight scanning much better with Beta

Post by Howard »

Using BP 4.0.9 and the iSight scanning is hugely improved. I have gone from about 10-20% recognition to about 60-70%. Maybe this is as much as one can expect from the iSight technology?

Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We're still fiddling with the code for the iSight and will send out another beta for testing in the next few days. Hopefully we can get the success rate even higher - but thanks for the feedback.
ZZamboni
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by ZZamboni »

Hi,

Unfortunately, even with the 4.0.9 beta I have not been able to correctly scan a single DVD. Once, the bars turned green and it scanned a number, but it was incorrect. I'm getting more frequent green flashing, but not steady enough to get a good scan.

Also, sometimes the iSight display is really really slow, updating only a couple of times per second or so.

Finally, the display is in black and white - I don't know if this is normal, not having ever used DVDpedia before.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you. We are changing the contrast so that it's not as harsh; it was also a way to detect the new cameras as the older ones don't have that ability; but just asking for the contrast setting is enough to detect the camera so the next version will do that. Also for testing if you are mirroring the image try it without (hold down option and click on the iSight button once to flip the setting). With mirroring each frames has to be flipped horizontally and the frame rate is lower.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Just wanted to let everyone know that the new version (4.1) doesn't include much improvement yet for the latest iSights because it's proving trickier than we thought to get it right. But we wanted to get this update out for a number of bug fixes and improvements. So stay tuned for more iSight improvements in the near future and thanks for your continued help!
crutchman

Post by crutchman »

Didn't notice if others indicated that the version 4.0.8 also when placeing the barcode as discribed as best practice that the barcode is also out of focus.

Is there a time frame of when this will be fixed?
ZZamboni
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by ZZamboni »

crutchman wrote:Is there a time frame of when this will be fixed?
I would also like to know. I've been trying Booxter lately, which is not as nice as DVDpedia, but has been able to successfully scan almost everything I've thrown at it so far...

Thanks for the updates.