SheetMusicPedia (A wild dream)

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
singerman

SheetMusicPedia (A wild dream)

Post by singerman »

As an amateur musician, I get a hold of lots of sheet music. It would be nice to have a program to keep track of what pieces I have, the arranger, voicing, and such. I realize it's fairly specialized, but I know I'd pay for it.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: SheetMusicPedia (A wild dream)

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. We are trying to slowly work our way to a more flexible program. If you are willing to add all the information manually you can take one of our existing programs and change the fields to fit sheet music. There is a file called RealTitles.strings inside the program that contains the translation for the title fields. By changing this file you could change the name of the fields. In Bookpedia in English you would find this file by right-clicking (ctrl-clicking) the Bookpedia icon and choosing 'Show package contents'. Then navigate to Contents/Resources/english.lproj/RealTitles.strings. You would need to keep a copy of that file as it would get replaced when you upgrade the program and also the type of field has to stay the same (dates have to stay dates, etc.).
singerman

Post by singerman »

That works great! I used Gamepedia -- maybe the most obvious choice (CDs might have started with more similar fields), but I know I'll probably never use Gamepedia, so there won't be any conflict later. I'm going to fuss around a bit more with the mappings, figuring out what data I want on the top of the full screen non-details view and such; but so far, it works well.

There is one fluke, though: the statistics view still uses the original field names. Also, you mentioned that the fields have to retain their types. Are the types hardcoded, or in another file like RealTitles.strings?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The types are hard coded, but only the dates, as the program stores them and sorts them as dates. The rest are regular text, they are only small details to keep in mind such as the top of the full screen view, as you mentioned, and some fields have the autofill feature that lets one select a previously entered text quickly. You are right that the statistics are not localized yet, the titles are plural and not singular there (genres instead of genre and countries instead of country). We will localize them in a future update so you will be able to change those as well.
elysdir
Contributor
Contributor

Post by elysdir »

Conor wrote:If you are willing to add all the information manually you can take one of our existing programs and change the fields to fit sheet music. There is a file called RealTitles.strings inside the program that contains the translation for the title fields. By changing this file you could change the name of the fields. In Bookpedia in English you would find this file by right-clicking (ctrl-clicking) the Bookpedia icon and choosing 'Show package contents'. Then navigate to Contents/Resources/english.lproj/RealTitles.strings. You would need to keep a copy of that file as it would get replaced when you upgrade the program and also the type of field has to stay the same (dates have to stay dates, etc.).
Coming to this post many years late: Thank you for explaining how to change the field names! Really cool, much appreciated. (I just tried it, and it still works!)