Large Large Collection

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
drjohncmac
Captain
Captain

Large Large Collection

Post by drjohncmac »

I have a rather large collection ... 3,418 DVDs catalogued with DVDProfiler 2.5. I've exported the collection to XML, and further modified the XML file to split into 100-DVD chunks for ease of import.

With so large a collection, I've used the DVDProfiler field "Location" to record just where the DVD is located: I have five 400 disk changers, so the first 2,000 or so are labeled DVD 1 - 015, DVD 3 - 399, DVD 5 - 001, etc. I also use ACE Cases which hold 12 DVDS each and are catalogued on the outside as Action 01, ... Action 15, ... Drama 01, ..., Drama 34. In each such instance, a DVD in the Case has a corresponding location in DVD Profiler. I've done extensive editing to the DVDProfiler "Overview" field (DVDpedia "Summary") to only contain a synopsis of the movie itself and not rave reviews about actors or DVD-specific features.

To round everything out, there are about 700 DVDs, which aren't available on the DVD market ... these came from an old Laserdisk collection which I just can't bear to part with it, e.g., Disney's "Song of the South".

Whew! Am I getting long-winded

My questions are:
(1) How can I force DVDpedia to recognize the "Location" field, and put it into the custom field named "Location"?
(2) How can I force DVDpedia to always place the "Overview" field in the "Summary" field? (sometimes this works ... sometimes not).
(3) Finally, for all the "episodic" DVD's I have (Firefly, X-Files, etc.) the episode list for each disk is populated in the DVDProfiler "Notes" field in HTML format. How can I import this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can render assistance in these areas. I don't relish inputting 3,000+ Location Fields, etc. by hand.

Thanks also for an absolutely beatiful program for DVD cataloging. I used an html-system I wrote from the XML, but DVDpedia beats it by a light-year!

:D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The best thing is to send us a sample XML export from DVD Profiler and point us to the troubled movies. It easier for us having the same file to try out the export and tweak it to make it even more robust.

It used to not look for custom field tags, I have now changed it so that it looks for <CustomOne>my shelf</CustomOne>. So you can download the program again and then modify your XML to find and replace all <Location> with <CustomOne> and </Location> with </CustomOne> so that it will get imported.

If you download it again you will find the overview field imported consistently. That was a bug on my part when trying to jump the <Lock> section of the DVD Profiler XML. Also the notes will be imported into comments. (You might have to send me the XML for this one as it will import the HTML code as well and you most probably don't want that.)
drjohncmac
Captain
Captain

Post by drjohncmac »

Hi Conor

I'll prepare the XML file and send it to you ... it's about 40 megs. It has nearly every permutation of information you'd expect ... manually entered movies, Notes for episodes, Location Numbers, etc.

Thanks for all your help

John
drjohncmac
Captain
Captain

Post by drjohncmac »

Hi Connor

The import went 99% perfectly for 3,400+ titles! Locations are there! Summary is filled in! And the Notes field was imported.

I'm e-mailing you a zipped archive of the Profiler XML export for you to use as a reference.

Again, thanks for your help

John
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Excellent news that the new version of the export worked so well. :)