[dvdpedia] last conversion step: covers

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
noisyscott
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

[dvdpedia] last conversion step: covers

Post by noisyscott »

Hello and thanks for dvdpedia. I am enjoying it very much!

I am converting a database from the windows application "Movie Library" to DVDpedia and am stuck at the final step. All my entries and supporting data are now migrated, but long ago I started my library of cover images by downloading and updating by hand. The problem I am having is that there seems no way to get this data into dvdpedia other than by manually dragging each file into the cover window.

Before embarking on an epic mouse dragging applications switching quest to manually add over 1000 covers, I dug up this reference which helped me rename all of my covers to the correct DVDpedia database number 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc (I used "A Better Finder Rename" in the "rename files from tab separated list" mode). I then took my renamed cover files, copied them to ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Covers in the hope that they would just magically appear. Alas, they did not.

Looking through info.xml, I noticed that database entries where I manually added covers have the <key>Image</key> filled out with an entry <string>"number".jpg</string> . Would it be possible to force dvdpedia to create an entry here for the rest of my library? I have considered doing a find and replace on the info.xml, but as these are multiline entries with a variable string it seems a daunting task. I also tried selecting the entire Library and adding a single image in the vain hope of replacing every cover in the Library with a single entry (something that you correctly keep the user from doing). Then I could just re-copy my correctly named covers back into ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Covers and all would be well.

Anyway, any insight or suggestions are welcome.

Regards.
noisyscott
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by noisyscott »

I was able to solve this dilemma using BBedit's regex find and replace. Worked like a charm!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You are very resourceful; I was going to mention BBEdit. The image tag is not really needed – it's just the unique entry number – but it's back from the early days when DVDpedia handled both JPEG and TIFF files. It has been hanging around because it's not hurting anybody and allows DVDpedia to know if an image exists without having to go to the disk. (Although the speed increase from this is minimal as it's almost always the case that an image exists – DVDpedia without images is not as cool.)
noisyscott
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by noisyscott »

Just in case it helps someone else out, here was my regex:

Code: Select all

find:

<key>([0-9]+)</key>\r\t\t<dict>\r\t\t\t

replace:

<key>\1\</key>\r\t\t<dict>\r\t\t\t<key>Image</key>\r\t\t\t<string>\1\.jpg</string>\r\t\t\t