Migrating from DVDProfiler and have a few questions

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
dpm

Migrating from DVDProfiler and have a few questions

Post by dpm »

Greetings,

There were a few features that I loved with DVDProfiler which I can't seem to find on DVDpedia - but maybe they are there and it is a user error :D

Is there a way to ignore preceeding "***" in a movie title for the purpose of sorting ie - If I have a movie titled "*** Blade Runner" and a movie titled "Bad Education" - is there a way that the sort of titles can ignore the "***"

DVDProfiler had a number of report formats that other users developed and that can be imported as a report definition - In particular they had a format which fit 10 titles/page including cover art and summary info on the movie - does any such report exist for dvdpedia?

question related to the first - highlighting multiple selections and downloading cover art - titles with a "*** " preceeding the title causes art not to be downloaded - any way around this (without removing the ***)

I was able to import my movie collection from dvdprofiler using a xml file which did not include cover art - are there any options to import from dvdprofiler including cover art?

Thanks,
Dean
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

I would get rid of those leading characters by doing a Multiple Edit. Just select all the problematic entries, do a Cmd-E, and then in the template write the title as you wish to see it. Bingo, they all change to the new form. This is the quickest way to clean up data so that it sorts well and has consistent entries.
dpm

Post by dpm »

Thanks for your reply - Ideally, I would like the "*" to display, and I have a lot of entries in that situation - oh well, I'll use bootcamp which will allow me to continue to use dvdprofiler - thanks again.
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

If the *** are a rating system, there's a field in DVDpedia called MyRating. Or you could use one of the Custom Fields as a place to put the asterisks, perhaps changing them into numerals. Anyway, your choice.
KiplingCat
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by KiplingCat »

druid wrote:I would get rid of those leading characters by doing a Multiple Edit. Just select all the problematic entries, do a Cmd-E, and then in the template write the title as you wish to see it. Bingo, they all change to the new form. This is the quickest way to clean up data so that it sorts well and has consistent entries.
Wouldn't that result in giving them all the same title rather than removing the asterisks from a number of different titles?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can do an import from DVD Profiler that includes the images by exporting the images from DVD Profiler. The folder should be called IMAGES, this is what DVD Profiler names it, and it should be at the same location as the exported XML file.

What is it you're trying to achieve with the asterisks? Druid's recommendation is a good one to move this kind of information to a custom field or my rating field if it's a rating. If the asterisks need to be in the title then unfortunately they will affect the title sorting. I would also recommend using Parallels instead of Boot Camp for running DVD Profiler. I know Parallels is not as free as Boot Camp but it's quite worth the investment.
DVD Profiler had a number of report formats that other users developed and that can be imported as a report definition - In particular they had a format which fit 10 titles/page including cover art and summary info on the movie - does any such report exist for dvdpedia?
Internally we only have the statistics report. But try the export option in HTML there are several templates there (must user created) and they can all be modified to fit your reporting needs.
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

KiplingCat wrote:Wouldn't that result in giving them all the same title rather than removing the asterisks from a number of different titles?
Eeeps. You are right. I was thinking that all the asterisk marks would group, but the problem is that sorting doesn't recognize those characters. My apologies for giving bad advice, and thanks for the correction.