DVD Cover Art in Pocketpedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
DVDcollector
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVD Cover Art in Pocketpedia

Post by DVDcollector »

I have successfully synched my iPhone to my Mac to download my DVD collection. Very, very cool. I can't seem to figure out however, why some titles in my collection display the DVD cover art & others do not. I've re-synched to see if that helps but it is the same titles w/o the artwork. Any thoughts as to the issue? In case it matters, I have 800+ DVDs in the collection, & I'm guessing that maybe 75% of them do NOT display the artwork on the iPhone.
thinkingman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: DVD Cover Art in Pocketpedia

Post by thinkingman »

I have the same issue. DVD cover art does not seem to load on 90% of my movies with my iPhone (non-3G). I have over a 1,000 in my collection, and I am willing to share any of the information with the developers.

Also, this is the very best app on my iPhone, only confirms the fact that using the "pedias" was the best choice.

Thank you.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Do please send me the some of the cover images that are not making it over. Drag the cover from the cover image display on the lower left of DVDpedia to the Desktop to get a cover file that you can attach to an email. The covers are translated to PNGs for the iPhone from the JPGs that DVDpedia uses as well as resized for iPhone size, it seems maybe the conversion is not happening for some. What Mac OS X version are you running, 10.4 or 10.5? With your covers I will try to replicate the bug and then I can fix it. Also do take a look at your Console log, with the program of the same name in your utilities folder after a sync, to find out if there are any errors from DVDpedia. Also the iPhone is smart and will not try to update movies in subsequent syncs that were not changed, when doing a second sync right behind another sync there is a "No sync necessary, would you like a clean sync" message on the iPhone, reply yes; this way will find out if it's always the same covers that don't make it over. Thank you for the encouragement.
thinkingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thinkingman »

Conor,

Not sure how to send you attachments, this way. I am running 10.5.4. You may have to help me find the Console log for DVD pedia for errors. Unfortunately, I am not that technical.

I just attempted to do another sync, after adding 1 movie to DVDpedia and this time got more covers. Sorry I can't be more help. With a little guidance I will help you in any way.
neoranga

Post by neoranga »

I am having the same problem with the cover art.
I have 1114 title in DVD pedia and it only imported about 100 images then stopped. I keep trying over but it does the same thing each time. All the images are JPEG images. I did not use the amazon DVD cover but used the movies original posters as the artwork.

I also have that problem which the sync appears and dissappears at the top of Pocketpedia.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Please do send me some covers files as mentioned above so that I can try it out.

thinkingman: to send us the cover file once you drag it out of DVDpedia to the Desktop, drag it from the Desktop to Mail program to create a new email message and send it to our support email, which you can find on our support page. Do not worry about the console log. Will test it here and see if we can replicate the problem.
thinkingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thinkingman »

A quick update to my problem and this may help others.

I had a problem with the cover art when synching via my wireless network. When I kept my iPhone wired/connected to iTunes (running OSX 10.5.4) and performed the snych, all of my 1000+ DVD Cover art came down.

Hope this helps, this is a great addition to to a a very useful product.
DVDcollector
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DVDcollector »

Thanks Thinkingman for the good info. This causes me to ask another question however...

I had also synched wirelessly, but only because I couldn't make the hard wired connection work. I THOUGHT I had read somewhere that you could not synch via the USB connection. Whenever I tried it I wasn't given the option to synch.

I am also using the latest version of iTunes & DVDpedia. Can you (or anyone) provide any info as to how to make the connection?

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The connection is still wireless, the USB connection is so that the device has a power supply and will not fall asleep during a long sync.
DVDcollector
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DVDcollector »

Connor,
Is that the problem - the phone is falling asleep during the long sync?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The phone falling asleep is one of the problems that affects the cover image sync. But we also fixed a bug in the Pedias yesterday that could affect this as well so download the programs again from our website (still version 4.3) and try synching again with the USB cable attached to keep the device from sleeping.
DVDcollector
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DVDcollector »

Thanks Nora. I'm happy to say I re-synced w/ the USB cable attached & it did work - all of the covers are now showing. Nice job. Because you guys are so responsive to this stuff, I will mention that even with the USB cable plugged in (it was connected to my mac, not the wall) my phone would still go to sleep. At least the screen would go dark. To prevent this from happening, I touched the iPhone screen every few seconds to keep it awake.

Don't know if it would have mattered, but that's what I did and everything can over fine.

Thanks again & great work!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the extra information. We haven't had any problems with the screen going to sleep when plugged in. The problem is when there is no cable, there is no power being supplied and although the program is performing useful work Apple added a time out limit in order to preserve battery power, this is especially true of a program that is using the wireless card (sync) that uses even more energy. This is a very understandable design decision and why we recommend that the USB cable be used, especially for big collections.
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

I had this problem (some covers not displaying on my iPhone), I then told my iPhone 3G to not auto-lock (Settings/General/Auto-Lock/Never) and then synched and all the DVD covers went across just fine.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the tip about the auto-lock setting.