Pocketpedia speed improved, backup still glacial

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
jschaffe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Pocketpedia speed improved, backup still glacial

Post by jschaffe »

Thanks for the new version! I'm really looking forward to the added features.

I noticed that the initial sync, including downloading the artwork, seems noticeably faster than the original version. However, that initial backup is excruciating! Mine's still running after over three hours!

I know in previous posts you described it as just the way Apple's backup process works, but isn't there anything you can do (like packing multiple images in each backup unit) to speed it up?

I will be completely refreshing CDPedia from iTunes after my iTunes library accumulates enough changes (I'm adding ratings, new music, and title and metadata corrections all the time). The way it looks, each refresh will take most of a day!

Alternatively, CDPedia could update itself from iTunes using the iTunes last modified timestamps. That way my life would be simpler and only new or changed artwork would be downloaded to the iPod Touch
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Pocketpedia speed improved, backup still glacial

Post by Nora »

Do try turning off the 'Large Covers' setting before you start the sync. You'll find the option in your iPhone Settings/Pocketpedia2. This will only sync over the thumbnail size images for entries and should speed things up quite a bit.
jschaffe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by jschaffe »

Nora wrote:Do try turning off the 'Large Covers' setting before you start the sync. You'll find the option in your iPhone Settings/Pocketpedia2. This will only sync over the thumbnail size images for entries and should speed things up quite a bit.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I actually *want* the larger-than-microchip-sized artwork (I really miss the 12.5" LP covers), so I knew from past experience that this was likely to happen. It turned out that the backup ran from 12:45 PM until at least 7PM (but was complete by 10 PM).

So, for something that took, maybe, 30 minutes to load onto the iPod Touch, it took over 6 hours for iTunes to back it up. I was just encouraging a little more creative thinking on that point.

For my case, an even better solution would be a true incremental update from the iTunes Library without me having to create special playlists and deleting dups from CDpedia. It would make my life easier, allow me to keep CDpedia and Pocketpedia up to date, and remove all but that very first slow back up from having to take place.

BTW, the Pocketpedia search speed on "all fields" is stupendously fast! That's the single key feature I was missing from the previous version, and I'm blown away!
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by teacher24_70 »

On a related question. If I'm syncing with both Pocketpedia 1 & 2, I'm assuming that it creates 2 copies of the data on my iPhone? One for each application? I'm sure that there's no way around that, but just wanted to check.

I hadn't thought about the fact that it would increase the first post-backup.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Yes, each Pocketpedia will have its own database then.
evg2000
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by evg2000 »

If I delete the original version of PP from my phone, then re-install it, is there anyway to resync the data? I'm currently running both version, but I would like to limit what I have on the old version since my libraries and images are very large.

thanks,
charles
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Watch out for the reinstallation, not sure if iTunes will allow it now that the original no longer is available on the app store.