pocketpedia2 can't see pedia apps

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
searcher63
Contributor
Contributor

pocketpedia2 can't see pedia apps

Post by searcher63 »

I was so excited I immediately downloaded Pocketpedia2 and tried to sync my libraries...But I also updated the pedia software to 4.5.4. I was asked if I wanted to allow syncs and I said yes...but when I hit the syn button on my itouch, it said it can't find the pedias and to restart them'

I have been successfully syncing the pedias with the older software...but now I can't do that either. I only have one wireless network and they (my mac min and the itouch) are both set up. The only thing that might have changed is I installed a new router...but(linksys) but I don't believe there is any firewall running I will check that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lyle Steinhardt

Okay..I checked my firewall on the mini..it is set to allow incoming connections for Book and DVDpedia. I checked the Linksys router and there is no firewall that is stopping any connections except for DOS attacks. I know both systems are on the same wireless network, they have the same network address with only the last (host address) different. Is it possible to use the bluetooth connection to sync the databases?

I have leopard 10.5.8 and iTouch 3.1.2 OSes.

Anything else you need? Or that I can do? Oh yeah, the pocketpedia menu item on the help menu is checked in both applications. and I answered yes to allow incoming connections....
I am so looking forward to using this new app....argh!
Nora
Site Admin

Re: pocketpedia2 can't see pedia apps

Post by Nora »

So you have one or more of the Pedia programs (version 4.5.4) running on your Mac and you start up Pocketpedia2 on the iPod Touch. When you tap the Sync button, you get the message to restart the Pedia programs? If that's the case, one way to check whether the problem might be the router is to create a network on your Mac and then connect your iPod touch directly to that. (Go into the Airport menu and choose 'Create Network'. Then connect your iPod to that newly created network and try the sync once more.)
searcher63
Contributor
Contributor

Post by searcher63 »

Nora,

Creating my own network with the mini worked. I don't understand it though, I even went so far as to turn off all firewalls on the mini and the router, but it still couldn't see the pedia programs. Well, I have my dbs oin the itouch now...so I'm happier. I just wish the summaries were there too...darn Amazon!

I even downloaded a network utility for the itouch to see if I could ping the mini, it wouldn't respond...but my other computer did! It of course is a windows computer...:( Okay, so I did a little more testing and I could not ping the itouch from the mini, but I could ping the PC...hmm...thoughts?

Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps a routing table somewhere?
Thanks for the help. Lyle
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

A routing table won't help at all if you are on the same subnet (which by default you should be). That is, if the IP addresses of all your machines are something like:

192.168.0.x
subnet 255.255.255.0

as long as the subnet is the same for all machines (regardless of what it is) there is no routing involved.

So, if all your machines are connected via WiFi (no cables on any of them) it has to be some software on the Mini that is causing the problem. Some type of firewall or NetBarrier or something like that.

If your machines are connected via Ethernet cable and the iPod is the only device connected via WiFi then take a look at the WiFi settings on the router.
Stumpokapow
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Stumpokapow »

Pocketpedia2 does not see my Pedia apps (DVDPedia, Gamepedia) either.

I am on an iPhone 3G, firmware 3.0.1. My iPhone is jailbroken, although nothing out of the ordinary is running; I use my jailbreak for a service called iLocalis that geolocates my iPhone. I am trying to connect to a Macbook. The only other quirk is that I primarily sync my iPhone on a PC and I downloaded Pocketpedia2 directly from the App store to my iPhone; the Macbook is not involved in syncing my iPhone.

I have tried connecting through three separate wireless routers, and by creating a network on the Macbook and connecting directly to the Mac. When I connect directly to the Mac, my phone reads "3G" rather than showing the wireless bars. The phone gets an IP address from my mac (169.x), but the actual little display icon at the top of the iPhone does not change to the wireless bars.

When I press Sync, I immediately get the "Please launch or restart the Pedia app" error message. There's no latency or delay at all, which leads me to believe that Pocketpedia2 is not searching for the computer running the Pedia app. I have the Mac system firewall entirely disabled and I have separately granted exceptions for Gamepedia. You can see this as follows:

I was never able to get Pocketpedia1 to sync back in the day either, but I thought the new sync system might have made life easier on me. :(
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Ok, if your iPhone is getting an address that begins with 169.x it is actually NOT getting it from the mac or anything else. a 169.x address is a special type of self-assigned address computers give to themselves when they are set to DHCP (dynamic address) and cannot find a DHCP server to supply them with one.

Having said that, it is technically possible to connect devices that are all on the same 169.x address (since it is after all a valid IP address) though I wouldn't recommend it because it can be frustratingly confusing. I think Apple also does some magic through Bonjour and allows connection through 169.x addresses which, ultimately, are valid addresses, just not being assinged by any DHCP service.

Furthermore, if your iPhone does not show the wireless bars, it is not connected to any wireless network. You can confirm this by going into settings-> Wi-Fi to see what it reads. It should list the wireless connection you created on your mac.

I would suggest finding out the IP address of your Mac, then the IP address of your iPhone and trying to ping the iPhone from the Mac as the first step. If the IP addresses don't (match up until the last number if you are on a 192.x segment) then you will never be able to talk to each other in the setting you have described (without a router between segments). Example:

Mac: 192.168.0.10
iPhone: 169.x.x.x

They'll never talk to each other.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The new version does not require any firewall settings, so you don't have to worry about allowing incoming connections. Something on the network is blocking your Bonjour signals, this is what Pocketpedia is searching for, an advertised Bonjour service from one of the Apps. It's one of the first things it does when it launches, hence why it can report back that it was not found so quickly (although when it reports back not found it goes and initializes the Bonjour search again for reliability). If you can get your iPhone connected directly to a Mac created wireless network and showing the wireless bars, I don't think you should have an issue with the sync after that. Also 3.0 was a bit buggy on the Bonjour, but I assume your holding on to the old version due to the jail breaking or tethering.