Your email server is misconfigured

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Your email server is misconfigured

Post by FromOZ »

When I attempt to email you your email server rejects the email. Your server is demanding that the sending domain must have a valid SPF record — no it does not have to. SPF is not a mandated, or even fully worked out, Internet standard and is not required by RFCs - in fact the relevant experimental RFC for SPF also states that SPF itself can cause issues with standards-compliant email systems.

Your email hosting company - site5.com I gather- does not have its' Postfix mail server setup properly. Please get them to correct this.

Code: Select all

$ telnet 174.120.98.200 25
Trying 174.120.98.200...
Connected to zeus.site5.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 bullhorn.c1.site5.com ESMTP Postfix
This is the error I get...

Code: Select all

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

support@bruji.com
   SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<support@bruji.com>:
   host mail.bruji.com [174.120.98.200]: 550 5.7.1 <support@bruji.com>:
   Recipient address rejected: QUEUE_ID="" SPF Reports:
   'SPF Permanent Error: No valid SPF record for included domain:
   mailhop.org: include:mailhop.org'
The domain in question 'mailhop.org' is a commercial, well respected, email forwarding service. It will not include an SPF record because it is not the source/sending domain, my mail domain is.

I was contacting you because I have an existing license of DVDpedia but version 5, unlike what is stated on your website, does not have an upgrade option. How can this be fixed, I can send you my original S/N but obviously am not going to post it or any other personal information on the forum.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Your email server is misconfigured

Post by Nora »

Thank you for the information, could you send me the original email domain of your server from where you sent the email as well as the reply to address. (PM me if you want to keep it private.) The issue is that the original domain does have an SPF record that includes mailhop.com (include:mailhop.org) and since mailhop does not have an SPF record the include leads to an error. The original domain might also be declaring a hard fail, hence why your mail is rejected as the SPF is asking it to be. Could be that Site5 is wrongly assuming the sending domain as an include, but without the rest of the information about the sending domain I can't verify this.

To update, when you run version 5 and go into the DVDpedia menu > Register DVDpedia and click on the 'Upgrade' button. If that's not in the window, enter your old serial number and the button should appear. That'll take you to our store with the update coupon applied.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Post by FromOZ »

I will send you the details of the mail failure email by PM, I am also checking the mailhop server.

Re: the point about putting in the old serial number to make the upgrade button come up - hmmm it is obviously not logically apparent to do that. I think you would have to agree.

The new version should recognise it is installing onto/over an existing installation with an existing S/N. Anyway it would be good to fix this or at least write something about this in the register/buy drop down screen or write something on the version 5 web page.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Post by FromOZ »

Sigh... I put in my old serial number for DVDpedia, click register and it says the serial number is for an old version and I have to upgrade and the upgrade button appears. OK.

It takes me to the Esellerate website, there is listed all three of the pedia programs I have bought, I only want to upgrade (at this time) DVDpedia so I delete the other two. Then I get an error saying...

"The coupon entered is subject to order requirements that were not met. You may try another coupon, or proceed without entering a coupon."

and the upgrade coupon code [XXXX I won't write it here obviously] is deleted.

Now what?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

If you only want to update one (or two) of the programs then go to the store, add DVDpedia to your cart enter your personal info followed by UPDATEFIVE in the coupon field. You can press the 'Update Cart' button after that to make sure that the correct discount was applied.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The new version should recognise it is installing onto/over an existing installation with an existing S/N
This should be the case. Not sure why on your system the Pedia was not aware of the previous serial number; hence why we asked you to enter it. We figured that would be the issue because otherwise the upgrade button is automatically presented.

Now that your mail server SPF record has been updated, if you would like to upgrade using your new email send us a message with the new email you would like and we can update that in our system.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Post by FromOZ »

Nora wrote:If you only want to update one (or two) of the programs then go to the store, add DVDpedia to your cart enter your personal info followed by UPDATEFIVE in the coupon field. You can press the 'Update Cart' button after that to make sure that the correct discount was applied.
I follow your instructions to the letter and get back from the Esellerate website "The coupon entered is subject to order requirements that were not met. You may try another coupon, or proceed without entering a coupon."

It's getting a little frustrating.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

I've sent you a PM.
FromOZ
Captain
Captain

Post by FromOZ »

Nora wrote:I've sent you a PM.
Hi Nora - fixed! Sent you details via return PM. Essentially Safari was using saved filled form data and filling in wrong coupon value (overwriting the one you advised which I was copy/pasting in) so I kept getting error message on Esellerate website.

Thanks again for your kind support.