Imagine you're a big Agatha Christie fan. You have all her books and have them catalogued in Bookpedia, naturally. But being such a big fan, you have a lot of other information about your favourite writer too: images, notes, websites, maybe even a documentary about her life. Wouldn't it make sense to connect all those things so you can bring everything together and access it at the click of a mouse? That's where the Pedias' Links feature comes in.
What can I link to a Pedia entry?
Pretty much anything: a file, folder, URL, image, movie, VIDEO_TS folder or other Pedia entries.
How do you link something to a Pedia entry?
- Open the info view in your Pedia by pressing the i button in the toolbar or choosing 'Info View' from the View menu.
- Select the entry you want to link something to.
- Drag the file, URL, image, VIDEO_TS folder, whatever-takes-your-fancy over the info view.
- Congratulations, you have a link.
- Select the entry and open the Edit window/Links tab.
- Drag the file, URL, image, VIDEO_TS folder, whatever-takes-your-fancy into the links table.
- You can also select the entry and open the Edit window.
- Then go into the Links tab of the Edit window and click the plus button to add a link to the list manually.
- Just type the file path or URL address straight into the path field, underneath the links table, and give it a name in the links table.
- Once you have created a link, it will show up in your info view (depending on the template) so you can just click on the link to open it.
- Alternatively, you can go back into the Edit window/Links tab, select the link you want to see and press the View button.
- To link Pedia entries within the same Pedia to each other, start by opening the info view in your Pedia either by pressing the i button in the toolbar or choosing 'Info View' from the View menu.
- Then hold down the Command key and select all the entries you want to link to each other.
- Now hold down the Option key and drag the selected entries over the open info view.
- Depending on the template you are using, you will see the links to the other entries appear immediately.
- (If you only want to link the entries one way and to one entry, select that entry last so it's the one showing in the info view and then drag the selected entries over the info view without holding down the option key. Don't worry, the entry won't link to itself.)
Dragging an entry to your desktop creates a .card file (depending on the Pedia they're called .dcard, .ccard, .bcard or .gcard) which is essentially a small xml file of the entry. These .card files are great for sending entries to friends who also use the Pedias or to create quick duplicates of entries. (Double-clicking the .card file opens it again in the Pedia program, as a copy of the entry.)