Checking UPC/EAN/ISBN accuracy in Doghouse

A place for Doghouse related posts.
FineWine
Site Admin

Checking UPC/EAN/ISBN accuracy in Doghouse

Post by FineWine »

You state in the Moderator guide that:

UPC/EAN/ISBN - these are very important for searches using a scanner or webcam so make sure entries have the appropriate digits.

The only way I have found to check if this number is accurate is to check it out in Amazon.com. I was cutting and pasting the UPC/EAN/ISBN number into Amazons All Departments search box, but this became a bit laborious so I came up with this little bit of code to do it for me and placed it in the Info View template I am using as a moderator:

Code: Select all

<!--IFupc<div class="field"><div class="title">[translate:upc]:</div><div class="text"><a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=[key:upc]">[key:upc]</a></div></div>ENDupc-->
Just wondering if this is the best way to do this?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Checking UPC/EAN/ISBN accuracy in Doghouse

Post by Nora »

That's a pretty cool addition to a details view, thanks for sharing. I usually just google the UPC/ISBN to check that it's the right title but I've added your bit of code to my details view now to make it easier, thanks! (Also easy to modify to open Google instead of Amazon.)
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Checking UPC/EAN/ISBN accuracy in Doghouse

Post by FineWine »

I have actually refined it a bit more now so that it only searches within Movies & TV:

Code: Select all

<!--IFupc<div class="field"><div class="title">[translate:upc]:</div><div class="text"><a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=[key:upc]&Go=Go">[key:upc]</a></div></div>ENDupc-->