Release Date and Original Release Date

A place for Doghouse related posts.
wanaka3
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Release Date and Original Release Date

Post by wanaka3 »

Hey there Conor, with CD now being re released in box sets, re masters etc, have you thoughts on adding an extra field in Dog House, to accommodate two release dates, the original release date and the subsequent release date. Good example might be the super deluxe release of Exile on Main Street, which includes vinyl, cd and DVD, and was release 2012, whereas the original version was 1972.

In the interim with re release of a remastered version without all the extras such as the Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here which version of the CD will take priority in DogHouse when the title and artist are essentially the same for the one released in 2013, over the earlier CD.

Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Release Date and Original Release Date

Post by Conor »

There is an "original release date" field in both CDpedia and Doghouse to accommodate the first release date of the album in any format. While the regular release date will be for the date the current CD with that cover and format was released. If you don't see the field check your preference panel (fields tab) in CDpedia and check the original release date field box.

At the moment it's necessary to add a modifier into the title of a remaster or new release such as "Wish You Were Here: Remastered" or "Wish You Were Here: 2012" (Not sure what would be the best style, would have to discuss to write up a guide for moderators and users on the preferred format). We wanted to keep the matching as simple an accurate as possible to begin with then expand from there if necessary. So if these special cases start to become the norm, then will have to add the release date as one of the fields that make the item unique and then the titles and artist can go back to being the same.
wanaka3
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Release Date and Original Release Date

Post by wanaka3 »

Hi Conor, thanks for the reply. I am using both "Release Date" fields in CDpedia as I'm not a fan of adjusting the title, but I do see the complexity for you in keeping this simple at this point. In terms of formatting maybe as you suggested or "Wish You Were Here: (Remastered).

In CDPedia i have used one of the custom txt fields to record that it is Remastered, Box Set, Special Edition etc. Maybe a field like this (or Features) could be linked to a Released Date field that could then be populated.

Thanks again
Chris