Doghouse & On-Line Users Library Accuracy

A place for Doghouse related posts.
FineWine
Site Admin

Doghouse & On-Line Users Library Accuracy

Post by FineWine »

I address this to all Bruji forum members.

Following on from this discussion: New Users Online Library I thought I would start a new post to explain what I have discovered concerning this.

After having a lot of accuracy troubles with my own On-Line Users Library and after lots of emails to and from Alex my library is now sorted (I think-I hope). And a big thanks to Alex with this. :D

What we discovered were several things - some mine and some Doghouse.

Doghouse server
1 - Duplicates with same ASIN and IMDb numbers.
2 - Duplicates with same UPC and DogTags not matching correctly.

My own DVDpedia collection
1 - Incorrect ASIN number to actual DVD resulting in either a duplicate Doghouse entry with two different DogTags or Doghouse saying it was a Blue-ray or VHS when it was actually a DVD.

2 - My actual pedia database entry so screwed up due to a mixture of IMDb, ASIN and other search sites information that nothing really was correct. This is mostly due to the fact that these entries were some of my earliest in DVDpedia (years old) and that the information gathered by DVDpedia at that time from IMDb, Amazon and my local search sites was not correct or has been changed since then. This was particularly evident with movie series e.g. Zulu and Zulu Dawn, Matrix and Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions. All of these had mixed and incorrect information gathered from various search sites.

Some of the above entries, Doghouse and/or my own collection, had to be deleted and re-entered again, this was the best way to ensure accurate information on both ends.

So the moral of this story is: - would everybody please ensure the accuracy of your database BEFORE you upload to Doghouse.

The best way to do this is to ensure your; ASIN, then your IMDb, then your UPC numbers all match up concerning the correct data that they are gathering from Amazon, IMDb and all other search sites.

The biggie in this is the type of "Media"; DVD, Blue-ray, VHS etc. This is especially evident with Amazon ASIN numbers. If you have an ASIN number please check that it points correctly to the Media type on Amazon. If you ask your pedia to just search Amazon on the Title only, it may very well return an incorrect Media type. In high probability, it will return it as a Blue-ray because they seem to be listing Blue-ray ahead of DVD and VHS. Do not asume that because you have already entered the Media type in your database that the then ASIN search result is going to be correct. Sorry this is going to manualise what should be an automatic function, but Doghouse has to be accurate.