Very slow cover art transfer

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Paulson
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Very slow cover art transfer

Post by Paulson »

I'm running Tiger (10.4.11) on my 2.5 GHz G5 and tried syncing DVDpedia via the USB 2.0 connection between Mac and iPod touch. The basic "text" data works ok, but I find that when it starts transferring the cover images, each image takes 30 seconds or more. With 1400 DVDs, this could take 700+ minutes or 11+ HOURS to sync. Am I doing something wrong? I thinking maybe the conversion from jpg to png file formats is taking a long time on my Mac.

If I cancel the sync (no way am I going to let it go for 11 hours), then the next time I sync my iPod, it starts from scratch.

While it's nice to have the cover art of the DVDs, maybe you could have a "text only" option, which is all I really need.
Paulson
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Very slow cover art transfer

Post by Paulson »

OK, I'm a little red-faced here. I assumed that because my iPod touch and Mac were connected via USB, that the sync was occurring via the cable. It was, of course, using my wireless network (802.11b).

Might my wireless connection be the bottleneck?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We will try to improve things for the next version (PNG conversion does take longer on Tiger systems, but nothing as much as you describe, 1400 covers should take about half an hour to an hour). Sadly as developers we do not have access to the link created via iTunes. If you like a text only sync, you can hit the cancel button on the sync as a soon as you get to the covers. Not ideal as it will try to do the sync from scratch next time, but the text data is really not that much compared to the covers.
Paulson
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Paulson »

OK, I'll just cancel the sync when the covers start, as you suggested. I know you'll get the kinks worked out...