Accept network connections

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Accept network connections

Post by danco »

I frequently get the message "Accept incoming network connections? Deny, Allow." I think it occurs each time I open a 'Pedia after restarting the computer.

I think it's an Apple issue, as I have found it with another program. Caused by synching to Pocketpedia and having the Leopard firewall set.

Still, it is a touch annoying, and it would be good to get rid of it.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Accept network connections

Post by Conor »

It is forgetting the firewall permissions for the Pedias, if they are allowed to listen for a Pocketpedia sync request. To fix delete the applications from your hard drive and then go over to System Preferences --> Security --> Firewall and remove the Pedias from the allowed access list. This will reset the permissions, download the apps again from our website and when you run them the first time choose "Allow" since you have Pocketpedia (for other users that have no iPod or iPhone they can select "Deny"). It should now remember the settings as it will recreate the rule for the Pedias.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

I tried that and it did not work.

I can even see the "accept incoming connections" for the Pedias in my list of firewall rules, and yet I get asked again if I want to accept them when I restart.

Fortunately it isn't a major issue as I keep my computer on most of the time, only restarting if something gets stuck or I need to update the system.

I do believe it's an Apple problem, not a Pedia one.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can try adding them directly by using the plus sign under the table in System Preferences --> Security --> Firewall and then selecting the application.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Yes, but the thing is that I can see "allow incoming connections" for the Pedias in my firewall list when I open the System Preference.

And even though these rules are present, I still get asked if I want to allow them when I open a Pedia after a restart.
Iqon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iqon »

I have the exact same problem.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Have you tried the whole process of removing the rule from the firewall and deleting DVDpedia and getting a new version from our server to clear the problem, as this usual fixes the Mac OS X bug for other users?
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Yes, I had tried that, but will try it again.