"application cannot be found"

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
MikeB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

"application cannot be found"

Post by MikeB »

This maybe not perhaps a bug, but it is certainly not correct. I have a linked .mkv file in DVDPedia and when I click the play button in full-screen, I get the error message "application cannot be found." VLC is the correct application and I have had some problems with it, so it did not surprise me to get this error message. However, the problems have been solved and VLC is working correctly, but DVDPedia still says it is missing.

This morning I found the problem: I had changed the file name and not updated the link. Once I deleted the link and made it again, DVDPedia and VLC worked.

The error message is incorrect. I spent quite a bit of time researching forgotten file links before I thought about the link. It seems to me that "file cannot be found" is more accurate than application.

I would also like to suggest that a play button would be nice in the "info" window when you click on a film poster in the full-screen mode.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: "application cannot be found"

Post by Conor »

A more descriptive error message in this case would be useful. When all else fails (the normal behavior is to launch VLC via script to get full screen going) we pass the link on to the Mac and ask it to please open it as it deems best. The error displayed is actually from the Mac OS X system.

I have added a check to the next release to make sure the file exist before passing it over to the Mac. So now the error in this case will be, "The linked file at '/Users/Me/Movies/Awesome Movie.mkv' is no longer available."
MikeB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: "application cannot be found"

Post by MikeB »

Many thanks Conor. Your solution sounds excellent!