Synch Fail

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
sitman
Contributor
Contributor

Synch Fail

Post by sitman »

I synch between DVDpedia on an iMac desktop and PocketPedia on an iPad which, until yesterday, always worked beautifully. Now when I click Synch, it hangs up on "Requesting collections". I recently ugraded to iOS8, not sure if that's when problem started.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Synch Fail

Post by Nora »

Since you probably did a restore from a backup during the iOS update, all the text data is included but the images are left out to save space as they are in your DVDpedia. To tell DVDpedia to sync all the covers again hold down the option key on your Mac as you press the sync button in Pocketpedia. DVDpedia will send all the covers again regardless of what it thinks it has.
sitman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sitman »

Thanks, Nora, for speedy reply. Actually, all my covers are there in PocketPedia. I tried your suggestion, holding the Mac option key, but the behavior was the same - Message says "Synchronizing... Requesting collections.", but nothing happens beyond that.
Update: I reinstalled PocketPedia on my iPad, sync still didn't work, so I exported a file for PocketPedia and installed it via iTunes. That rebuilt my library (about 5000 titles), but sync still doesn't work. I checked two other apps that synch between my desktop and mobile device counterparts (Bento and iBank) and both synced properly, so it doesn't seem to be a network issue.
Last edited by sitman on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Do please try restarting DVDpedia, to be safe try restarting the entire Mac. Likewise for Pocketpedia and the iPad. If that still fails let me know and I can post more debugging steps so that we can find the exact issue.
sitman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sitman »

OK, just saw your post about restarting, which I then did - iMac, DVDpedia, iPad, Pocketpedia - and sync now works again. As long as I've been using computers, you'd think I'd have done all that before I bothered you. Thanks again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad it's working. It was likely just DVDpedia that needed a restart, but just in case I mentioned all of them. It's very rare but DVDpedia can get stuck waiting for information from a previous connection with Pocketpedia.
mklengel

Post by mklengel »

I have the same problem, possibly due to iOS 8 on my iPad. I have postet this problem 5 minutes ago because I didn’t look in the bug reports section.

Starting DVDpedia gives on the console

26.09.14 17:47:51,174 DVDpedia[2024]: CoreData: Error: Unable to dynamically link Librarian.framework

Starting the sync on Pocketpedia doesn’t give any output on the console.

Any solution?

Regards
Michael
bigfella
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bigfella »

Had a similar problem "sync....requesting collections". This was similar to another software problem I've had. So I restarted my laptop and my iPad. On the laptop I closed my TomTom program "icon " sits in top bar, also Growl, WD My Book Live and Bryton Bridge. All of these programs work well but have not had regular upgrades and with them all in the "on " position I've had a few problems with iOsx 10.9.5 and backing up to my cloud drive etc; once I had performed all of this "sync" worked a treat. Just as an aside my old iPhone 3GS with Ios 6 has no problems syncing to my laptop .
Carabosse
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Carabosse »

I also upgraded to ios8 and since then, none of my -pedia will sync with my iPhone or iPad. I restarted everything, it made no difference. I deleted the apps from my computer and reinstalled them, and then deleted Pocketpedia from my iPad and reinstalled it. I then restarted my computer, but none of this has made any difference.

The original problem was that it would hang up on requesting collections; now it just says, "Pedia not found. Please launch or restart the Pedia program on your Mac." Which I have done, to no avail.

Edited to add: I checked the Pocketpedia settings on the iPad to make sure that Bluetooth was off, and now it syncs. The other strange thing is that it will sync over my standard wifi network, but not the 5GHz variant of that network.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Unfortunately iOS 8 broke some peoples WiFi & Bluetooth. Apple is Working on fix in 8.1 but in the mean time read here http://osxdaily.com/2014/09/22/ios-8-wi ... blems-fix/

Hope this helps

Cheers
Paulson
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Paulson »

Similar problem here, but different problems on different devices.

-iPad 3rd gen - worked great
-iPad mini - hangs on "Requesting collections"
-iPhone 5S - hangs on "Pedia Not Found..."

All are on iOS 8, with similar settings.

Tried restarting everything, with no change.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Do please try disabling the Bluetooth on the devices. If that fails do try the dedicated network under the Airport menu.
Paulson
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Paulson »

--iPhone 5S - previously tried syncing with Bluetooth off, but I tried again, and this time it worked.
--iPad mini - Made sure Bluetooth was off, would not sync. I restarted both iPad and Mac, tried again, and this time it worked.

I did the same thing previously on the iPad, but with no sync. Not sure why it worked this time, but thank you!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

iOS 8 is a bit crazy. Hopefully will get it fixed in the next Pocketpedia release or Apple will beat us to fixing the issue instead of working around it. Glad it's working for now, it comes and goes.