DVDPedia slow responding under Yosemite 10.10

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
steff
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVDPedia slow responding under Yosemite 10.10

Post by steff »

Hi there,

I am not sure if I got this problem since Yosemite, which I use since a few days after they released it, but it became annoying the last few days where I need a lot of information transfered to my Plex Media Server. When I switch from another program to the running DVDPedia it takes about a second before the DVDPedia window becomes active. It doesn't matter if I click directly into the window or use the dock icon. I tried the beta 60 but it doesn't changed the behavior.

Stefan

Update: Just a suggestion - I found no tick box for App Nap in properties. Maybe App nap is the problem, even the problem is the same while Pedia is taking a nap or not (information from activity monitor)
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: DVDPedia slow responding under Yosemite 10.10

Post by FineWine »

How much memory do you have?

How many programs do you have running at once?

I always use a free maintance program called Onyx from Titanium Software which I always run after any system upgrade or prior to any serious media work. After upgrading to Yosemite my machine was a bit sluggish but once Onyx for Yosemite was released a week later and I ran it things quicken and sharpened up nicely.

Cheers
steff
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by steff »

Thanks for fast reply.
My Mac Pro 2013 runs at 8-cores with 16GB RAM, so I don't think its a power problem. I'll give Onyx a try, but I was wondering that DVDPedia was the only one of the running programs with that delay in responding. After it was responding everything went fine, but if you have to switch from window to window to copy things, one second every time is not quite amusing.
I'll give a response if anything changed after maintenance.

Good night (23:45)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the details and the time to report the bug. On a few systems Yosemite is redrawing way too much (I believe it's tied to a graphic card, otherwise it does not make much sense). It's part of the responsive scrolling technology that draws more of the table view than necessary so that it can scroll right away. But in Yosemite and on high end systems it seems to be drawing too many currently not visible rows and at a very slow rate. I have reported the bug to Apple, but I am also trying to find work arounds to the issue. But I am hoping it will be fixed by Apple or that it's basic changes I can make once I find the bottleneck and not have to redraw the table view on my own.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Yosemite definitely has some issues with memory management. I'm experiencing some really weird problems where I've had to restart my MacBook Pro an inordinate amount of times compared to earlier OS versions. I do run some memory hogs simultaneoulsy (Xcode, Rubymine, Photoshop and Illustrator sometimes, iTunes when I absolutely must) but in the past I've been able to leave the laptop on for weeks at a time and just put it to sleep, restarting only when things get too wonky (RAM will also fragment, just like a Hard drive so you eventually will need to restart depending on the type of programs you run, anything that accesses virtual memory aggressively will be the worst culprit, looking at you Adobe) but ever since I installed Yosemite I've had to restart an average or every 3 days.

In most of these cases DVDpedia has not been running. I'm not saying there isn't an issue, just saying Yosemite definitely has memory problems, regardless of any DVDpedia issues we might find.

The good news is that 10.10.1 seems to be around the corner if rumours are to be believed. And hopefully they'll also fix the Notifications bug so I don't have to set them again every other day.
steff
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by steff »

So, after some maintenance with OnyX and a day with a powered off Mac things getting better, but there is still a small delay in response of DVDPedia. Book and CDpedia doesn't show that. Could it have to do with database size 9.3 MB (1600 Movies with big posters) and is there a way to optimize the media database.
If the current state is stable it is worth waiting for Apple's update and see if they can change things. Otherwise I'll continue this post.
Thanks for your help

Another update:
Problem is the same then before after I started work again. What I forgot to mention is, that my other window where I paste the information is a remote desktop session on another machine. This makes clearly a difference, because now I see again a spinning beachball when switching back to pedia, while other progs responding normal. If I don't set the focus back to pedia I can scroll in my lists without any delay, but a click in the pedia window challenge the beachball.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for all the details. I'll take a look and also test it under the beta version of 10.10.1. It's likely not the media file size as the images are only loaded on a needed basis. But I am sure it's related to the larger number of movies in the database, so I shall take that into account when looking for a solution.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

Conor wrote: ... I am sure it's related to the larger number of movies in the database, so I shall take that into account when looking for a solution.
LOL

I hope "9.3 MB (1600 Movies with big posters)" isn't a problem. Mine's 25MB (6400 Movies with big posters) 8) . I don't have any "lagging" issues (although clicking an image in the imagewell to see it big is kind of laggy/dorky lately) but I also never use Grid View to show any collection larger than a few hundred Titles. I regularly hit my "Everything" Smart Collection (in list view) without issue.

One thing that will lag the heck out of DVDPedia is clicking on a Folder full of Smart Collections. I wonder if the OP might be hitting that issue -- inadvertently or otherwise.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Same problem here. Mac Mini with Core i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.10, DVDPedia 5.3.1

The beachball rotates (sometimes) for 1 to 2 minutes in reaction to simple scrolling the sidebar - which in my case contains many "intelligent collections" sorted into subfolders.

My database contains 2500 Titles.

Hartmut
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thank you for the details, it will help in testing and narrowing down the Yosemite issues.
steff
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by steff »

Back here with 10.10.1
same Problems with responding
stay tuned.... :arrow: :?: