DVDpedia no longer getting all Amazon info

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVDpedia no longer getting all Amazon info

Post by Rodney »

It appears that something changed, most likely on the Amazon site. When I add a movie from Amazon, it no longer fills out the forms, though the info is on the Amazon page. I get the title, the graphic, and the summary, but no other information on the Main page. Is this something I can fix on my end, or a bug fix needing a new release?
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: DVDpedia no longer getting all Amazon info

Post by FineWine »

You are correct in that Amazon USA and CA are missing most of the data. Strangely Amazon UK is not.

I have corresponded with Conor so expect a fix shortly.

Though remember that IMDb provides more details than Amazon which is really only useful for prices and format details.

PS: When posting please provide what version DVDpedia you are using as well as what version macOS.
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

I also use IMDB to insert the remaining fiekds, but IMDB doesn't insert the release date and doesn't use the physical media studio name, only the actual production company, for example it will say that The Cameraman is Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) instead of The Criterion Collection. Also you don't get the Extra Features and proper description of that particular release (though many times you don't from Amazon either).

Sorry I didn't state the following info in my original post:

DVDpedia version: 6.0.2
MacOS: Catalina (10.15.6)
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

The latest Beta version is 6.0.3 Beta 168 which you can download from here: https://bruji.com/beta/
These beta's are fully functional. Though as I am also experiencing this issue we will just have to await a fix. :D
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

I was hoping that beta 169 would fix this issue, but it hasn't changed. Could the developers give us an update? I don't mind waiting, but would like to have a status.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

This overall I believe is an amazon thing. They have been rewriting their websites and Conor has had to scramble to keep up with the ever changing API's (Application Program Interface). Also amazon has changed the rules regarding the use of API's in that each referral agent (Bruji in this case) must forefill a minimum monthly referral quota for each amazon country site.

Good Will Hunting (ASIN: 1558908641) [https://www.amazon.com/Good-Will-Huntin ... th=1&psc=1] provides very minimal info, including no Release date.

But if I use ASIN: B004UGAMSK [https://www.amazon.com/Good-Will-Huntin ... 8&qid=&sr=] I get far more information. But here is the thing, the release date is on the amazon site but DVDpedia is not picking it up.

Then if you search for Skyfall (ASIN: B01DJ63UJY) in Amazon US, then Amazon CA, then Amazon UK, each separately, you get different results.

If you search using the Title you get multiple results. If search using UPC you will get a different result again. Then you have to worry about private sellers where each copy of the DVD has a different ASIN.

AND you will end up again with different results for Blue-ray, 4k and multi-format disks.

Finally if you are cataloguing a Title as Streaming Media you get results that the pedia's are not yet designed for.

So all up what have we learnt. First up this must be driving Conor at Bruji absolutely crazy. Next I would just use the UPC number (barcode) for your country amazon site, then gather the remaining info from IMDb and then if necessary manually fill in the missing info.

I hope this provides at least a partial explanation for your query.