PocketPedia fails to add to collection

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
betabop

PocketPedia fails to add to collection

Post by betabop »

Hello,
I'm a new Pedia user but bought pocketpedia to help scan in my collection. The sync to DVD Pedia or gamepedia works fine but I can not scan and add any items though the app.

First I noticed that all barcodes are scanned with a leading 0 added - if the barcode is 01234, the app searched for 001234

Manual searches do return items but they're limited in the returns (Rocket League game only shows a playstation and switch version but not the correct switch version).

Currently these items all scan properly in Delicious Library 3 from Amazon using their app.
I'm using this on an M1 min under 11.2.1.

Is there something I'm missing with the scanning by phone?
Is the desktop recommended as the scanner? (I'd need to find/buy a camera for it)

I have a huge collection of games/movies and I'd like to swap over to these apps but it would be too much to do it by hand searching, DL still scans quickly and I can grab movies with the phone scanner very quickly.

Thanks for any feedback!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: PocketPedia fails to add to collection

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback on Pocketpedia.

Because of the nature of iOS and what Apple allows on it, Pocketpedia only searches against Doghouse and not all the search sites that are available on the Pedias. Especially Amazon that does not allow their API to be run from iOS device.

You can send scans form the Pocketpedia to be searched by the desktop by clicking on the Mac icon on the bottom right of the video window. This will connect Pocketpedia to the desktop and send the barcode to be scanned there, where you will have access to a bigger range of databases. To activate Amazon hold down the option key and click on the "Help" menu, select the beta "Amazon Test" and then you will have Amazon as a search site. You can arrange search site in order of preference in the Preference panel, via drag and drop. You can also target a single search site by clicking the magnifying glass on the search field. In the case of barcodes coming from Pocketpedia they get sent to "Movie -> Add Multiple" window that is automated and does not require input, so that you can scan not stop on the iPhone.

If you are not on the same network while scanning items, they will be saved and then delivered in bulk to DVDpedia when you next tap that Mac icon on the Pocketpedia window.

Congratulations on the M1, I hear it's a great machine. I look forward to getting the M2 as my own machine is too new to justify the upgrade.
betabop

Re: PocketPedia fails to add to collection

Post by betabop »

Thanks for the reply!
I figured out the Amazon search after digging through the forum posts and this, of course, opened up the search power tremendously as well as linking back to the desktop with Pocketpedia. I was hesitant before but now I'm leaning toward the full bundle with these options.

a) Why is the amazon "trick" not highlighted more? I seem to recall that the post I found the info on was almost 2 years old or so. Is there something wrong with having this option toggled on permanently? Or highlighted in the instructions/blog posts?
b) Is there a 2021 roadmap or Blog post coming? - I fully understand the "sole coder vs. anything else other than coding" situation you're in, but I initially thought the software was dead or stuck in life support mode since most page type updates were quite old. What is the state of the software? With many digital shops now, are there any new plugins' coming? (Here's a 2 dollar "scan your Playstation digital library" or " this one is for your Vudu owned movies" etc?

I hope the future is still bright for this app!
Thanks for your response above as well!