Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.

Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby FineWine » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:03 pm

As per this topic http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2058

Perhaps in the future Doghouse could have a database of headshot thumbnail photos and the standard Info Templates or the main App could be coded to fetch these and display them in the Info View window similar to other databases e.g. IMDb. At present my own database, using a custom Info View template, shows images of actors, directors, composers, and some producers. With actors I have them as Name (child), Name (teen) & Name. Do not have them as (old) as yet but some actors do change very much in old age as to what they looked like in their young to middle age adulthood.

Members could also be able to contribute their image databases from all over the world, similar to what we are doing now with the Doghouse Contribute. This would be great as in my own research to update these photos, IMDb has only a 75% or less success rate and I have to do a Google Images search, ensuring I get the right age photo for the corresponding movie/TV series (e.g. can't use the same photo for Ron Howard - Andy Griffith 1960-68 and Happy Days 1974-84 and Frost/Nixon 2008) . At present I have over 9600 images and counting. The average photo size is approx. W100px X H140px at approx. 6kb (colour) & 3 kb (B/W) each.

Perhaps this same process could be applied to Authors in Bookpedia & musicians/bands in CDpedia.

Anyway, I find having a photo against the DVDpedia Credit entries a HUGE benefit as it ensures I have the right actors to the right movie, bearing in mind lots of movies are remade with different actors over the years. Plus this also gives you a great visual time line of your favourite actors.

It brings the program closer to the movie & cast and you the user.
User avatar
FineWine
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 am
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby cd_BE » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:30 am

I had the same thought.

I even made a mock-up. It's to bad I can't program myself, or I would do it. DVDpedia is great, and actor headschot's make things even better.
My first program, was on a windows, and there you had movie info & actor info with headshots. Looked great.

Image
cd_BE
Inductee
Inductee
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 am

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby FineWine » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:01 pm

cd_BE wrote:I had the same thought.

I even made a mock-up. It's to bad I can't program myself, or I would do it. DVDpedia is great, and actor headschot's make things even better.
My first program, was on a windows, and there you had movie info & actor info with headshots. Looked great.

Image

I like your mock-up, though it maybe has a bit too much info for the pedia's. In my own created Style Template I have link back icons to their bio in IMDb and Wikipedia.

Image

As you will notice I have search icons across the top, these are mainly to search Australian websites for our releases but I can modify them for any websites to suit your locale. If you click on the actors name or photo, DVDpedia's Filter kicks in. Also across the bottom I have Star Rating and if it is borrowed, that info will show up, then I have a Play Trailer link to YouTube.

If you would like my Style Template drop me a PM and I will email it to you with instructions on where to place it within the DVDpedia program folder structure. Of course you would have to start creating your own image database within DVDpedia and I would also give you instructions on how to do this.

Cheers
User avatar
FineWine
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 am
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby Rigido » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:50 pm

I think in English it should be something like....Holy Crap! I love that!!! :D
I would like to know something more from cd_BE on how he/she did the "Actor Bio" and yes, FineWine, I would like to have your Template and info, right now I'm using a slightly modified "Collection" style.
It could be great to have them both: FineWine's style with a "link" to fire-up cd_BE's more detailed actor bio. :)
User avatar
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 am
Location: Acilia, Rome, Italy

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby FineWine » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:36 am

Rigido wrote:I think in English it should be something like....Holy Crap! I love that!!! :D
I would like to know something more from cd_BE on how he/she did the "Actor Bio" and yes, FineWine, I would like to have your Template and info, right now I'm using a slightly modified "Collection" style.
It could be great to have them both: FineWine's style with a "link" to fire-up cd_BE's more detailed actor bio. :)


I will get to it next week. This weekend I am very busy with work so about mid next week.

sorry cheers
User avatar
FineWine
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 am
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby Rigido » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi FineWine,
I started to work on your template, there are really good ideas and headshots are really great!
cd_BE sent me a private message and told me that his/her image was just an idea and actually is a Photoshop mockup.
In the link you can see what I'm going to do:
As I think it should be "headshot" focused, I organized the cast section as a <ul> of a 3 rows and 2 columns tables. First colum (rowspan=3) for the picture forcing just width to 100 then a slightly bigger IMDb and Wiki icons (24px), a clickable actor name and italic role (not fully satisfied with font sizes).
The problem is that I'm working with "plain" html instead that CSS styles and on a 27" iMac, so I don't know if I'm doing something that just a 27" user would use :roll:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/screenshot20130130at002.png/

PS: I love green, but I think this template is too much "greenish", I have always used a modified version of the "Collection" template, maybe I'll try to port the headshot section into my Collection template.

PPS: Ok, I'm retarded...I just read cd_BE already wrote that it was a mockup :oops:
User avatar
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 am
Location: Acilia, Rome, Italy

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby FineWine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Rigido wrote:As I think it should be "headshot" focused, I organized the cast section as a <ul> of a 3 rows and 2 columns tables. First colum (rowspan=3) for the picture forcing just width to 100 then a slightly bigger IMDb and Wiki icons (24px), a clickable actor name and italic role (not fully satisfied with font sizes).


Oh I do love that layout. Green is my favourite colour.

Does the right credit box auto resize with long names or is it set and long names auto wrap?
I see you have deleted the collection ID from the header bar or are you not using collection ID's in your catalogue?
Going by the image, I see that the Main Info wraps very nicely, have you done something? I like it.
In your layout the IMDb & Wiki icons could even be bigger, don't know!

When finished could you please send it to me.

Cheers
User avatar
FineWine
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 am
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby Rigido » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 am

I'm not home right now, I'll try to answer

FineWine wrote:Does the right credit box auto resize with long names or is it set and long names auto wrap?

I didn't touch rightbox definition, I just worked on on fonts size and decoration, so I don't know which behavior it would have.

FineWine wrote:I see you have deleted the collection ID from the header bar or are you not using collection ID's in your catalogue?

No, I didn't remove it, it is just empty...

FineWine wrote:Going by the image, I see that the Main Info wraps very nicely, have you done something? I like it.

For what I can remember I just worked on field (text and label) width (maybe it is 400 for field, 100 for label and 300 for text)

FineWine wrote:In your layout the IMDb & Wiki icons could even be bigger, don't know!

Yes, I saw original PNGs are 48x48, but I don't like it bigger than that.

FineWine wrote:When finished could you please send it to me.

Sure ;)

Have you any hint on font and size for the rightbox? Right now there is something irritating about that...
User avatar
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 am
Location: Acilia, Rome, Italy

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby Rigido » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm

FineWine,
what do you think about this? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/56 ... at003.png/
Can you see Director and IMDb fields are highlighted? They're clickable, a nice hand will appear when you hover them.

Let me know what do you think.
User avatar
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 am
Location: Acilia, Rome, Italy

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby FineWine » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Rigido wrote:FineWine,
what do you think about this? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/56 ... at003.png/
Can you see Director and IMDb fields are highlighted? They're clickable, a nice hand will appear when you hover them.

Let me know what do you think.


I do like the font change in the Right Box, it is not as loud as the one I was using. All links in the pedia's change to a hand on hover. Does the Director (regista) link goto an IMDb bio page?
User avatar
FineWine
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 am
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby Rigido » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:02 am

FineWine wrote:I do like the font change in the Right Box, it is not as loud as the one I was using. All links in the pedia's change to a hand on hover. Does the Director (regista) link goto an IMDb bio page?

For the font on the Right Box...CSS's font-size is your friend :) I used 20px for the name and 15px, italic for the role, then I used font-weight:900 for the links on the .field .text.
IMaybe it was too late when I wrote the post and I didn't noticed that hand before :D

About the Director link, I think that there are too much links the will bring you "outside" of DVDpedia so I just used it to filter by as the actors name does.
I was thinking to do the same for other fields as well, but I think that with some fields "highlighted" and some no the Info panel would loose some elegance/style.

I will go on with some little adjustments, let me know if you have suggestions.

Ciao!
User avatar
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 am
Location: Acilia, Rome, Italy

Re: Actor Headshot Thumbnail Photos/Images in Info View

Postby FineWine » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:19 pm

FineWine wrote:Does the right credit box auto resize with long names or is it set and long names auto wrap?

Rigido wrote:I didn't touch rightbox definition, I just worked on on fonts size and decoration, so I don't know which behavior it would have.


:idea: I played around with this but could never get it to work to my satisfaction. Box auto resize or long names auto wrap or both. As you can appreciate the more Info that can be shown with less scrolling, then the better it is on the eye.

I originally started this template based upon one that I submitted to the Bruji's Extras page Called Jungle Green and then further modified as a Moderators template.

As you can see Green is my favourite colour :lol: I also use the YouTube "Play Trailer" a fair amount especially from within my Wish List. And I am always lending out my DVD's so the Borrowed facility is used allot as well, especially the polite email reminder :roll:.

Vedo che sono stati anche impegnati con la scrittura del "[ITA] Nuovo plugin di ricerca: DVDWeb". Spero che lascerà il tempo di giocare solo! :D

Cin Cin
User avatar
FineWine
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 am
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand


Return to Feature Requests

cron