My Listmania (in DVDPedia) isn't working anymore

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.

My Listmania (in DVDPedia) isn't working anymore

Postby sitenoise » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm not sure why, but now I always just get the menu sheet that says "No Listmania Found // There are no lists containing ..."

Could this be because I don't get advanced info from Amazon? That would be odd because I can go to the amazon website via the Amazon Link. And I can see that there are indeed lists for the given title. But, Alas ...

Any Ideas?
User avatar
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Re: My Listmania (in DVDPedia) isn't working anymore

Postby Conor » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Make sure you have an ASIN for the movie as that is what the Listmania look up is based on. If you do have an ASIN please send me a couple of the ASIN that are not working, so I can give it a try with the same movie.
User avatar
Conor
Top Dog
 
Posts: 5223
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: My Listmania (in DVDPedia) isn't working anymore

Postby sitenoise » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:37 pm

B000F4LPJ6 Battle Royale

6300214826 Apocalypse Now

B000N4SHOO Breaking and Entering

but here's what I noticed:

If I open up Add/Edit and delete the ASIN that's in there and then update using Amazon US, sometimes it will work. I think it depends on whether the item in question has more than one entry. I think all of the above do. I even cut the ASIN#, updated, got a list, and then pasted this new ASIN (that was exactly the same as the original one) back into the field, saved, closed, and no List. (Notice, I'm saying here that the new one from Amazon that gives me a list is the same as the old one I removed. And, yes, I have checked for spaces and at either end to the best of my ability.)

I can use the 'deleted' (cut) ASIN # and search directly on Amazon and it will give me an entry.
And as I said in my original post, I can (often) get to an Amazon link via the Amazon link button, but then not get any lists.

As a final bit of data, I imported most of my items from Delicious Library. What can i say? ;)

UPDATE
I just trashed all the ASIN #s and got advanced info on the batch and things seem OK. I imagine it was a bonking from the DL import.

ps - I think you should really put a "How To" article up about this batch changing ability. Once you know about it, or if you assume it from having worked in iTunes, it seems obvious. But I did a number of single item changes before I happened upon a forum post that mentioned it. (Same with option-clicking the author column and command-control-# punching. I have a feeling there are a bunch more cool things hiding out in this wonderful program. One of the first things I do when I try out a new program is to go to the help menu ... where I wish there were a direct link to search or visit these support forums ... and look for a keyboard shortcuts entry. (hey! Was that command-control-[digit] tip there before?) ;)
User avatar
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Re: My Listmania (in DVDPedia) isn't working anymore

Postby sitenoise » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:30 am

UPDATE v2.0

Ah ha! ... it appears that the amazon redirect url has to be in the URL field in the Add/Edit window for the Listmania to work.

I'm not sure why, but I guess there is a reason for that?

My reason for not wanting this ... in case you have a better idea ... is that I have tweaked my Info View template so that when I click the title it goes to the URL field's url. (<!--IFurl<a href="[key:url]"> ENDurl-->[key:title])

Having Amazon in there is redundant and more often than not Amazon is not where I want to go. I've been putting Wikipedia urls in there much of the time, or some other destination.

I know I can add all the links I want to the links tab, but ... I'd rather not. I like having my definitive source of info in the Title's url. It's not that big of a deal, just peculiar, I guess.

As I mentioned before, I'm not really using this to catalog a DVD collection. It's more of a database of study materials. Maybe I'm peculiar. :)
User avatar
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Re: My Listmania (in DVDPedia) isn't working anymore

Postby Conor » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:25 am

With all that information I can easily fix the bug. What happens is that when you imported your entries they didn't have the locale information. DVDpedia does not know if the ASIN belongs to the US store or the UK, etc, and therefore does not know where to look for a wish list. It looks at your selected search site in the find window to take a guess; if you have a non-Amazon site selected then it gives up. Of course the program is smart enough to know that it can figure out the locale from a URL if it needs to, that is why entries with an Amazon URL work. I have changed it so that it if all else fails it tries all the Amazons until the ASIN matches. So download the program again, and you can go back to adding Wikipedia URLs instead of the Amazon one.

If you still have problems after that, drag an entry from the table view over to your desktop to create a card for that entry that you can email me, so that I can work with the same information you have.
User avatar
Conor
Top Dog
 
Posts: 5223
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: My Listmania (in DVDPedia) isn't working anymore

Postby sitenoise » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:24 pm

wow. life is good
User avatar
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:42 pm


Return to Support

cron