DVDpedia 4.6.8, El Capitan, and Spotlight

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDpedia 4.6.8, El Capitan, and Spotlight

Post by ScottH »

I've stuck with DVDpedia 4.6.8 for many years not because I don't want to upgrade, but because I don't want to lose the Amazon lookup. I recently got a new Mac, going from Snow Leopard [10.6.8] to El Capitan (10.11). I used Migration Assistant to move over just my User folder, and then I re-installed DVDpedia 4.6.8 from the original image file. It picked up all my data, including cover images. As far as I can tell, everything seems to be working fine in DVDpedia. However, Spotlight no longer finds any of my DVDs.

I've searched the forums the best I can, but since it won't allow searches on 4.6.8, or 10.11, I haven't found an answer to this. I saw that there were Spotlight difficulties in version 5 and higher, and also with Yosemite, I think.

I've also gone and deleted the DVDpedia folder with the spotlight cache that 4.6.8 had in my Library/Caches/Metadata folder, and still, nothing appears when I search Spotlight.

Is there some step I need to do to regenerate the Spotlight cache? Does El Capitan make the Spotlight search non-functional even with 4.6.8? And if the answer to that is yes, is Spotlight search a problem you've been able to fix in the current release, 5.4.1? I checked the Release Notes, but couldn't find anything relevant.

I've been a longtime user for many years, with nearly 2000 DVDs in DVDpedia, and I still use it nearly every day. As much as I've resisted losing the Amazon search feature, I'd give it up and upgrade if it's the only way to get Spotlight search back.

Thanks for the great application, and the support.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDpedia 4.6.8, El Capitan, and Spotlight

Post by Waldbaer »

Ermh, for me, the Amazon search works quite well in the newest pedias. It's a little annoying to configure, but then it works without problems as far as I can remember... Sorry if I understood you wrong, but it seems to me that an update to the newest version would not bring any problems to you, since it should even still work on your old machine using OS X 10.6. :o

PS: Spotlight works fine for me, too. I'm using Yosemite 10.10.5 and DVDpedia 5.4.1.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by ScottH »

Thanks for the one reply, but it basically said "you shouldn't use 4.6.8, upgrade! Amazon registration is easy!" and "sure, Spotlight works fine, I'm using Yosemite". Which leaves all my original questions unanswered (I asked about 4.6.8, El Capitan, and Spotlight, and also about the current version 5 release, El Capitan, and Spotlight). Can anyone answer them? Conor, Nora, someone else from Bruji? Thanks.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

I'm sorry if I did not understand your problem correctly, but I read your post again very thoroughly and get to the same understanding and solution: Your problem seems to be that an old version does not work as it should and your motivation not to update to the current version is not justified (anymore). The problems you describe don't exist in the current version, so why don't you just give the update a try, instead of asking for workarounds for the old version (which probably lacks a lot of new features, too)? :o

PS: I did not say Amazon registration is "easy" but "annoying". Anyways, it works if you need it.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by ScottH »

I apologize for getting your impression of Amazon registering wrong. Why don't I upgrade? Because I assume it's a 1-way street, and I have so many DVDs in my library, and I use DVDpedia regularly. I've paid close attention and I haven't found any features added since 4.6.8 that particularly appeal to me. I am curious, still, as to whether Spotlight integration works okay with El Capitan (I understand it works for you with Yosemite). I would probably not bother going through the contortions to register for Amazon, so I'd be losing a feature. Before I do that, I'd like to know if at least Spotlight is working OK in El Capitan. I'll still have a net loss by upgrading, losing the Amazon search. But, as I said, I would upgrade to get the Spotlight search back. I just wanted some clarification on that before I take the plunge and leave the otherwise reliable 4.6.8 behind.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

Thanks for clarifying your point.
ScottH wrote:...upgrade? Because I assume it's a 1-way street...
Why should it be a 1-way street? Save a copy of your database folder (since it is important to you, I assume you'll have a current backup anyways) and DVDpedia 4.6.8 (if you want to be waterproof, maybe you backup the preferences, too), try out if the features you need (you seem to be quite sure about those) in version 5 work for you (even the demo will do the job in that case) and if not, just copy the old version back, replacing the new; this should take about half an hour at maximum...

Anyways, I'm not able to answer your question directly from my own experience, so I'll keep quiet now and leave the rest to the bruji-officials. :oops: