Importing iTunes Playlists in CDpedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
dave937
Contributor
Contributor

Importing iTunes Playlists in CDpedia

Post by dave937 »

Hi. I used CDpedia for many years and always imported new albums into it by importing playlists from iTunes. I'd like to start using CDpedia again, but the import playlists is not functioning.

I'm using CDpedia 5.4.1, El Capitan 10.11.1, and iTunes 12.3.1.23. I have my iTunes library on an external hard drive.

I've tried a few suggestions I've found on this forum like the terminal command, but that doesn't work. I've got about 5000 albums currently in CDpedia, and I'd like to add about 1000 more, but the internet look-ups available within CDpedia aren't doing a very good job (80% are either not found, inaccurate, or mostly incomplete - maybe I just have weird and/or unpopular tastes). Is it still possible to import via playlists and if it isn't is there a fix coming?

Additionally, all the albums I had in CDpedia used to sync perfectly with the tracks in iTunes...in other words all the listings in CDpedia have the double notes next to them and I could click on the tracks in CDpedia and play them...when I did a "refresh iTunes tracks" command in CDpedia, I lost about half of those syncs. Not as big a deal for me, but it would be nice if it worked as it should.

Any help would be appreciated as I have a pretty big investment in time into my CDpedia database and I'd hate to start over with something else. Thanks!

Dave
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Importing iTunes Playlists in CDpedia

Post by Conor »

Hi Dave,

It's likely the new iTunes feature that is blocking the sharing of the users information. In iTunes visit your preferences and under the advance tab, select the "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications".

Otherwise if you have moved the iTunes Music folder hold down the option key as you select "File -> Import Playlist from iTunes" it will give you the option of selecting the "iTunes Music Library.xml" used by CDpedia that is normally in "/Users/you/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml". Could to do and make sure CDpedia is reading the correct file if the default is not working.

Another option is to try the latest beta version that is a little bit ahead of the official version.

If all those fail do check your console log please. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log. Might be the error is posted there.
dave937
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Importing iTunes Playlists in CDpedia

Post by dave937 »

The Option-Click when selecting "import playlist from iTunes" was exactly what I needed. Works perfect now. AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Thanks.

Dave