Gamepedia Search: am I doing something wrong?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
audacious
Captain
Captain

Gamepedia Search: am I doing something wrong?

Post by audacious »

I lookup Fallout 4 and I get Amazon Fire TV Stick. Not even close. I open it up to see other results and I see Playstation 4 - Star Wars Battlefront, X-Box One - Gears of War and several other consoles before I see the first actual game - Call of Duty Black Ops II. The 8th one down was Fallout 4 for Playstation 4. This occurs fairly frequently.
Tx.
audacious
Captain
Captain

Re: Gamepedia Search: am I doing something wrong?

Post by audacious »

I've figured out that I can get much closer by putting items in quotes. But I am wondering why I would have to. How could a simple search for something like Fallout 4, which should have been an easy one to come up with and list first, go so wrong as to generate console names that barely even share any letters with 'Fallout 4'". If Fallout 4 did not exist within the database I might understand that the search engine is looking for the nearest thing. But it does exist - it for some reason thinks 'Amazon Fire TV Stick' is a closer match to 'Fallout 4' then the actual 'Fallout 4'. This occurs frequently, with all of the Pedias.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Gamepedia Search: am I doing something wrong?

Post by Nora »

If you're using Amazon as your search engine then make sure you select 'Title' as your sub-sorter because their general search is quite terrible (it's basically based on sales rank instead of relevancy). So telling the search that you're only interested in actual titles is a step in the right direction. (We can look at making that the default in the future since their results are getting steadily worse.)

Alternatively try using one of the other sites such as Moby or our own, Doghouse.